• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, I'm Ossy (or David, more formally) (1 Viewer)

Ossy

Thailand
A Lancastrian Brit, but since 2012 living in Thailand where, just as in England, the bird life is a daily fillip to my retirement regime.
Inspiration for this forum contact was my captivated viewing, a few minutes ago, of a buzzard-sized bird of prey, gracefully soaring on the thermals above rice paddies and occasionally swooping down to the grass verge, presumably having spotted a mouse or something tasty.
I watched this 'buzzard' for a full 5 minutes, before it headed west, but significantly this was just one of many sightings of this bird, which I have tried in vain to find Google pictures of. Whilst like an English buzzard in size, shape and flight style, its most prominent feature are its 50:50 black and white wings, both upper and lower, with the black half outermost and with 'square-cut' dividing line between B&W, as opposed to the tapered black portion of this raptor https://www.birdforum.net/attachments/dsc03135-copy-jpg.1548852/

Any ideas anyone?

Hi David - Ossy.. and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to our ID forum, as they're better placed to be able to help you. It looks like a Black-winged Kite but wait for the experts to chime in.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi Delia and thanks for that speedy response to my joining your bird forum. Having looked at several images (thanks Google!) of the Black-winged Kite, I believe you have correctly I/Dd that captivating bird . . . thanks for that!

Hi Delia and thanks for that speedy response to my joining your bird forum. Having looked at several images (thanks Google!) of the Black-winged Kite, I believe you have correctly I/Dd that captivating bird . . . thanks for that!
Thanks Ossy. Did you try that link I gave you?

HI Ossy and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.
Thanks, Kits . . . I already have another birdie query.
As well as the Black-winged Kite that was I/Dd yesterday, I also frequently spot another buzzard-like species, flying above the rice paddies outside my home. Sometimes, usually mid-to-late mornings, they fly in pairs, and every evening, just before sunset, a single bird circles, then hovers, wings beating, seemingly hunting its dinner, before diving down to catch it!
My Google search is telling me that these raptors are Oriental Honey Buzzards, confirming their size, shape and behaviour, but I'll be more than happy with any further help towards I/D-ing these intriguing visitors to 'my big garden'!

Thanks, Kits . . . I already have another birdie query.
As well as the Black-winged Kite that was I/Dd yesterday, I also frequently spot another buzzard-like species, flying above the rice paddies outside my home. Sometimes, usually mid-to-late mornings, they fly in pairs, and every evening, just before sunset, a single bird circles, then hovers, wings beating, seemingly hunting its dinner, before diving down to catch it!
My Google search is telling me that these raptors are Oriental Honey Buzzards, confirming their size, shape and behaviour, but I'll be more than happy with any further help towards I/D-ing these intriguing visitors to 'my big garden'!
You're best starting a new thread for this query as it can/will get lost when posted within another thread (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back