• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with a trapped Jackdaw (1 Viewer)

Jenny87uk

Hello all, I've just joined up so I'm sorry i haven't introduced myself as of yet but i'm really after some help or ideas.

I've discovered a Jackdaw has fallen down our chimney, however, there has never been a fireplace, it has been blocked in since we lived here. The bird has landed at floor level of my bedroom, it seems to be a solid floor and i don't think he can fall any further but i'm not 100% sure on that.

The chimney has been blocked off on all surrounding rooms, there is just a very small vent in my room. I took the vent cover off when i heard the fluttering wings and bird calls, expecting to find a little sparrow or something, but instead i was greeted with the watchful eye of a Jackdaw!

The hole behind the vent cover is about 15cm long and 4cm high, there is no way he will fit through. I can hear his partner, assume its the partner, on top of the chimney calling down and he is responding. He is fluttering around, occasionally seems to get about 5ft up (judging by the fluttering noises through the wall) but that's about as far as he can go, he just scrabbles back down.

He has a cut on his breast, feathers around it are stained with blood but i cant tell how severe it is. Other than that he seems really quite bright and healthy.

I've phoned the RSPCA, they gave me 100 different numbers and no one really knew what to do or say. I phoned the RSPB, they said ring the RSPCA.

I've knocked back the plaster around the vent hole, down to the brick and mortar, which just seems impossible to get through(although i don't have many tools here). My original plan was to remove a brick and release him that way.

After seeing his attempts at flying up, i'm wondering if he is just a little too weak to make it. Is here anything i can give him to feed on or drink to boost his energy a little?

He doesn't seem overly distressed, he sits watching me, occasionally sticks his head through the hole. I've given him small pieces of bread and some bird seed, trying to figure out how to get water to him at the moment!

Is there any agency who will actually come out and help rescue him? There is no way i'm going to let him die there, hes such a sweet looking bird and i know hes got that injury so hes going to probably need treatment asap.

I thought I heard fluttering yesterday morning but couldn't find anything, I was out all day and worked all night, came home this morning and could hear him calling, so he has now been in there for 36 hours, minimum.

Thank you in advance for any help, I really hope we can get this little fella out before its too late!

Hi what you need is a builder, to come and take out a brick, so the bird can be removed, when the bird has been rescued, you need the builder to put wire cages over your chimney pot's to stop this happening, best of luck. Mc

Hi Jenny and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

Try Googling Wildlife Rescue,count and see if there's anyone near you.

Though Eagles suggestion of trying to find a builder is probably as good as anything.

If there's a lot of soot and dust in the chimney, the Jackdaws eyes may need some attention.

It's likely this is a fledgling - Jackdaws do nest in chimneys and the youngsters are inclined to fall if they can't make it up to the top - it will be one of the adults calling to it I'd think (or a sibling wanting fed).

When this particular drama is over, it would be an idea to get a builder to put some wire mesh over the chimney, so they can't nest in there again.

I hope this helps - please keep us advised of the outcome.

D

Thank you for your responses, I got a strong friend round to finish the chiseling. Jackdaw hopped out gingerly and walked around the room, he didn't appear to be in bad shape at all. The cut that I was initially worried about was actually quite small.

Before we had chance to look thoroughly he was off out the window, flew across the sky with ease. Lovely to see him free :)

The chimney has always had a cover on it, it was on before we even moved in, since its no longer used. However, I have just looked and it appears to have a small tree/bush growing out of it!! Perhaps its dislodged it. Will get that seen to asap. Mean time if any unfortunates should fall in, there is a nice big hole at the bottom to get of lol.

Thanks again for your responses

Thanks again for your help

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back