• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please! Minsmere and environs (1 Viewer)

Perry Grin

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Minsmere first week of June. Will start at Dunwich for dartfords then to Minsmere for whatever is about (maybe even otter). I'll be hanging around to after dusk, is there any where else worth checking out before I leave the area - is there a good nightjar site near there or on route back towards the south east?.

TIA

Perry

Hi Perry,

Haven't been up for nightjars yet this year but posted this on the other thread.

Gi

For nightjars near Minsmere, try Westleton Heath, along the Westleton - Dunwich road. From Westleton drive past Minsmere turning and there is a car aprk on the left on the heath with a track going straight ahead. Walk up this track. The track goes up to the forest with a track to the right which leads to a second car park along the road.

As for woodcocks it has been many years since I've seen/heard them roding when out on a nightjar watch on any Suffok heaths. A shame as it was always great to have them as a precursor to the nightjars.

Gi

Excellent, Cheers Guys.

For Dunwich, do you recommend parking up at the National Trust car park or is it with walking up from Minsmere? Wondered if it was a particularly long walk on shingle with bugger all to see?

Thanks again.

Excellent, Cheers Guys.

For Dunwich, do you recommend parking up at the National Trust car park or is it with walking up from Minsmere? Wondered if it was a particularly long walk on shingle with bugger all to see?

Thanks again.
We parked in the first car park on the Westleton to Dunwich Rd. Best views on right of road approx 200yds from the car park going east.

Excellent, Cheers Guys.

Thanks again.

You'll get charged £4 if you're not a National Trust member. The car park is about a 10 minute walk from the end of the north wall at Minsmere.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back