• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me find an owl...pleassee (1 Viewer)

You are going to have to be a lot more specific mate.....

What species, where and most importantly.....why?

People, on these forums, don't tend to respond unless reasons and not just plaintive requests are given in order to provide an adequate response - i hope these pointers have been helpful?

Laurie:t:

I suggest you learn about the species you are interested in, develop your birding skills, identify suitable habitat, and maybe you will get lucky.

I realise all this is probably far too much hassle, as like most of the latest generation of big lens boys you are unlikely to ever be bothered to find anything, and will instead run around togging birds found by those prepared to put all the graft in.

I cannot imagine anything less satisfying. I doubt any self respecting birder will help you in your quest, as we prefer to leave our Owls in peace. :t:

This chap has just got interested in Birding,he his armed with his book and his Binos,his bridge camera hasnt got a big lens,,he has asked for infomation and pointers,but has sort of worded it wrong,an owl flew across his car.and he was hooked.Plenty of the "TOGGERS" and birders at UW have helped him.I dont want to get into a slanging match,8-P

Last edited:
Keep an eye on your local county sightings website RC. Like yourself I really enjoy seeing Owls and whilst regularly hearing Tawnys outside the house, the last time I had great views was on Mull.

Rich

I did'nt even consider it was a slanging match - if the request had been purely for photographic purposes then it would probably not get a reply. If it is about diurnal species then checking suitable habitat would be a start. Birds flying across headlights often get hit which does rather defeat the object and nocturnal birds can really only be viewed by the use of lures and lights and i prefer not to go there as i don't approve:C

Sorry, can't be more helpful - i got to grips by using a combination of field guides, common sense and binoculars.....

Laurie:t:

Depending on what type of Owl, search by habitat. A Barn Owl for instance is going to be in a quiet location in, yep, a barn. Go check some barns for pellets as a sign of presence. This time of year Tawney Owls will be calling, learn their different calls and go out listening.

Hope that's a helpful answer..........

EDIT.
Check out my Flickr for a black Barn Owl

I only know of some Little Owls......2 well known places around the Bittell area but while out and about over the summer I had the pleasure to see some at least 3 other locations.....all where I would call local.You HAVE to get out and about to see anything.The rarities will always be known through a grapevine and you have to travel for them if you want to see them but everything else is out there waiting for you to find them.........a lot of the time THEY pop up and show themselves if you just settle down in the right place.
:t:

This chap has just got interested in Birding,he his armed with his book and his Binos,his bridge camera hasnt got a big lens,,he has asked for infomation and pointers,but has sort of worded it wrong,an owl flew across his car.and he was hooked.Plenty of the "TOGGERS" and birders at UW have helped him.I dont want to get into a slanging match,8-P

ya gotta laugh fella just starting out asks a question and gets shot down in flames, he should know better than to start going out birding until he's got at least twenty years of experience under his belt, he must only find his own birds and is under no circumstances allowed a camera! best advice become a member at upton warren even volunteer on work party's, people get to know you and you get info and experience because your hanging around some very good birders. also ask plenty of questions, ignore the keyboard warriors on here people generally ain't so cocky when there looking you in the eye. just enjoy the birding regardless of others idea's on whats the correct way, find what you like and go out and enjoy it. respect the birds and don't let ya dog run loose in the wyre forest in the breeding season. happy birding good luck with the owls.

I only mentioned I had gone looking for a local Barn Owl a couple of years ago and the guns shot me down..........seems funny that the poster found this site before doing birding for any length of time....are people thinking he is not all he seems by asking about Owl sites.

Best thing to do is watch sites like this (Gallery) or Bird Guides to see where owls are being photographed. Or go for a wander at dusk and listen. Loads of little owls around and tawnies. Shorties seem to be in good numbers this year. Long-eared crop up here and there (again try Bird Guides for sightings), whereas travelling to somewhere like Norfolk ought to yield barn owl sightings.

Remember to be patient and hope your luck is in.

ya gotta laugh fella just starting out asks a question and gets shot down in flames, he should know better than to start going out birding until he's got at least twenty years of experience under his belt, he must only find his own birds and is under no circumstances allowed a camera! best advice become a member at upton warren even volunteer on work party's, people get to know you and you get info and experience because your hanging around some very good birders. also ask plenty of questions, ignore the keyboard warriors on here people generally ain't so cocky when there looking you in the eye. just enjoy the birding regardless of others idea's on whats the correct way, find what you like and go out and enjoy it. respect the birds and don't let ya dog run loose in the wyre forest in the breeding season. happy birding good luck with the owls.

Wonder what replies would have been given if the question was "Where to find some Goshawks".......remember it was from a mere title -not an explanation as to the circumstances of the request.
So far the only words he has spoken were followed with him telling people to stick comments somewhere....just read through the replies and no-one had said anything bad......unless it was by P.M.'s.
:t:

There's an undertone of "The Management" ( Hale and Pace ) from these Characters.All UW clan by the looks. If you're not with us you're agin us ( used a bit of dialect there, northern chap :t: ). He's obviously got his work party badge, so feels like his huge carbon footprint is justified snapping birds.And if no one spoon feeds them the locations, or it doesn't drop on his hide, or someone dares suggest they do a bit of graft they get all narky. Still, great company everyone, great craic etc etc :clap:

WTF are you are about?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back