• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help ID Nectar Feeding Bird, Please? (1 Viewer)

jchrismc

Hi, all. Just joined the forum today, but have been lurking for quite a while. I have been a casual bird watcher for many years, but I am stumped by a new visitor to my hummingbird feeder!

This bird is a bit smaller than a cardinal and feeds both at the nectar feeder and the seed feeder, with a marked preference for the nectar.

It has a light buff-tan-brown back, fading on its breast and the underside of its tail to a light greeny-yellow.

It visits the feeder every day in the mid-morning, but is too quick for me to get a picture - any one have any ideas on this one?

I am in the Missouri Ozarks right on the Arkansas border, if geography will help - thanks for your posts!

Chris

Don't think it is an oriole...

The coloring just doesn't seem right, although I wouldn't rule it out. All of the orioles I have seen are in splashy orange costumes - I have no idea if the juveniles start out more subtly colored...

Last edited:
Chris,
There are over 50 species of birds that will sip nectar at a hummingbird feeder. Some include House Finches, warblers, orioles,woodpeckers, and thrushes. Your little bird sounds like either a finch or a warbler. You may want to check out the vireos, warblers and tanagers, especially the females.

tanager....

Yes, it pretty much looks like the photos of a female scarlet tanager. I just didn't expect one to become a regular at my nectar feeder! Thanks, squaw :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back