• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, new hear (1 Viewer)

Great to be here, just got a Kowa TSN-88a and am now looking for a set of Bino’s and am trying to choose between the Zeiss SFL 8x40 and the Kowa 8.5x44 or the 8x33’s. And I just got a RRS Versa tripod and leveling head with a PT scout pan head for my spotter.
Thanks,
Vince

Hi Vince and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'll move your post to the Binocular Forum, as they're better placed to be able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Great to be here, just got a Kowa TSN-88a and am now looking for a set of Bino’s and am trying to choose between the Zeiss SFL 8x40 and the Kowa 8.5x44 or the 8x33’s. And I just got a RRS Versa tripod and leveling head with a PT scout pan head for my spotter.
Thanks,
Vince
I have had all three of those binoculars you mention, and I would take the Zeiss SF 8x40 out of the three, but there is an auction on eBay for a Swarovski EL 8x32 which I like even better. It is mismarked as an EL Range, but it is a regular EL Swarovsion 8x32 and looks brand new. Outside of the Zeiss SF or Swarovski NL which are both about $2500, it is one of the best birding binoculars you can get. I would throw a bid in on it for about $1700. Not much more than the Zeiss SFL 8x40. For some people, the Zeiss SFL 8x40 will show the blue ring of death around the edge of the FOV. The Kowa 8.5x44 has a small AFOV, and it is heavy. The Kowa Genesis 8x33 has soft edges. jackjack says the Kowa Genesis 10x33 is not even close to alpha quality, and I tend to agree.

Last edited:
I have had all three of those binoculars you mention, and I would take the Zeiss SF 8x40 out of the three, but there is an auction on eBay for a Swarovski EL 8x32 which I like even better. It is mismarked as an EL Range, but it is a regular EL Swarovsion 8x32 and looks brand new. Outside of the Zeiss SF or Swarovski NL which are both about $2500, it is one of the best birding binoculars you can get. I would throw a bid in on it for about $1700. Not much more than the Zeiss SFL 8x40. For some people, the Zeiss SFL 8x40 will show the blue ring of death around the edge of the FOV.

Thanks just placed a bid on those, while I do some research. Thanks again for the heads up 👍🏻

Thanks,
Vince
Any of those would be excellent choices. I have the SFL 8X40 and I just happen to be currently using the Kowa 8X33. I've been really impressed. Right now there is probably not a better binocular for the current price of $799.00.

IMG_2637.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back