• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from virgini (1 Viewer)

kqnash

United States
I am moving in September from my farmhouse rental and need advice about decreasing my feeding prior to removal of my feeders/poles. And when to start. There is an old, 2016 I think, thread. Not conclusive. I have 6 feeders (5 types of food) on the side and 3 in the back. Must be 100 goldfinches, house finch, downy, hairy, redbellied, titmouse, nuthatch, chipping sparrow, cardinal etc. Very busy place! Please advise!

Welcome to Birdforum.

I’d suggest gradually decreasing the number of feeders and the amount of food a month before you leave.

Hi kqnash and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. So that's 9 feeders in total? I'd perhaps suggest removing one every 5 days to a week, with the last one being removed about two weeks before you move. I fear you will still feel it's hard, but by the time you've actually moved they will have found alternative sources. Don't worry, they won't starve.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi kqnash and a warm welcome to you! As to your new setting, I would start with a common liked seed, i.e. sunflower seeds to see what attracts which birds it attracts and go from there :)

Hi kqnash and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. So that's 9 feeders in total? I'd perhaps suggest removing one every 5 days to a week, with the last one being removed about two weeks before you move. I fear you will still feel it's hard, but by the time you've actually moved they will have found alternative sources. Don't worry, they won't starve.

I will find it hard! But presumably I’ll be so busy sorting and packing that I won’t be able to dwell on it. But I will between now and then 😢

The only thing that helps is that when I was in Fort Worth most of my birds disappeared sometime in September. Reappeared in mid December when the goldfinches came. Wondered what I’d done but I was told it happened that way every year. And it did. But hasn’t happened here in the past 2 autumns….

Last edited:
Hi kqnash and a warm welcome to you! As to your new setting, I would start with a common liked seed, i.e. sunflower seeds to see what attracts which birds it attracts and go from there :)
I’m having a smallish house built in my daughter’s back yard. She now getting into bird feeding and plants that I’ve done since she was young 😂. It’s a forested subdivision. There’s a pileated. And the other day a summer tanager landed on the front step railing! And a couple of hummingbirds. In the midst of the woods! There will be more birds than I originally feared.

Will be hard to remove the very popular suet nuggets. And sunflower chips. So I’ll shoukstart in august I guess. 😥

I have 2 large ‘witches hat’ and another large - all sunflower chips!

I’m having a smallish house built in my daughter’s back yard. She now getting into bird feeding and plants that I’ve done since she was young 😂. It’s a forested subdivision. There’s a pileated. And the other day a summer tanager landed on the front step railing! And a couple of hummingbirds. In the midst of the woods! There will be more birds than I originally feared.
I love when the Pileateds arrive each week :)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back