• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heard an owl last night (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone

We live on the edge of town (Kendal) in a house that overlooks open fields. There are very few trees around in the immediate vicinity (bar a few fruit trees that we have planted in the garden but are not really all that established yet), and no natural water (ponds or rivers) within at least half a mile.

Anyway, last night we heard a distinctive 'twit-twoo'. It sounded quite a small bird as the call wasn't all that strong. In our 6 years of living at the house, we've never heard an owl before. In fact, bar a sparrowhawk that crashed into our window on one occasion, we rarely see species other than crows, the occasional magpie and the odd sparrow.

Tried to look and see if we could see anything but it was of course pitch black. Is it more likely to be any particular variety of owl? Can you tell from the call or 'hazard a likely guess' based on the habitat?

Thanks.

Sounds like a male Tawny Owl as the females make a distinctive 'Ke-wick' call :t:

I get them calling in the trees behind my flat and it's lovely to hear them......rarely see them though :-O

actually both sexes make both calls, but definitely tawnies.
The hoot is used in a variety of ways,from territorial to last minute small mammal scattering on a woodland floor, also when young start to call they take a while to perfect it, making all kinds of weird and wonderful noises - top birds, one of my favourite species - enjoy them!

in 25 years of observation and recording/vocal luring, I have on occasion heard it!

Male birds mimic female Kevicks - usually when approaching the nest, and having been buzzed on several occasions by stroppy females, I can understand why!

Hmm, yes, I've heard a male mimicking his mate when around the nest too, but it's unconvincing and nothing like a full-blooded female kewick! I have Mikkola too, which to my mind illustrates the near-impossibility of representing tawny calls in print. Have to say I don't always trust what he says as my impression is he's throwing in everything that's ever been written by an "expert" without having heard some of the calls himself. E.g I simply don't believe in duetting -- mates call to each other for various reasons but they don't duet in any real sense of the word. Tu-whit tu-woo -- which he doesn't specifically mention but gives credence to by mentioning duetting -- is a nonsense, but so embedded in our folklore that, well, it just won't go away.

Another statement that raises doubts is "When the female gives this call [kewick] from the nest the male generally responds soon afterwards by bringing prey . . ". Having spent many, many nights under nests and nestboxes with good mics I think I can say that what actually happens is that the female hears the male announce that he's setting off for the nest with a catch (with a far off hoot that may be completely inaudible to the casual listener) and the female replies -- he is not "responding" to some demand for food. One female I know did one year call on spec from the nest, but the male came in only when he'd caught something, which sometimes took a very, very long time, like 2 hours. The next year she only responded to his first distant call announcing a flight in.

"oo-trill" of the male and "ee-trill" of the female? Blow me down! It's certainly a mysterious call and I'm not always sure why it's being used or what it means, but one thing I am fairly sure of is that if it's made by a male when another male hoots just over the fence, so to speak, the first male is signalling that yes, he's there, sitting in his patch, but he's definitely not coming out to fight! All Mikkola says is that it's "a territorial conflict call", which is ok except that one male is signalling that he doesn't want to scrap. He doesn't mention the alarm aspect of the trill call either. Made by a male "immediately after delivering prey"? I've not heard that, unless the female leaves the nest and has a good time winding him up!

There's no mention of the incredible wailing that may be done between a pair and which has nothing to do with the "caterwauling" that happens when males attack each other or see a floater off. Or the use of "wick-wick-wick" by a female to call in a companion, male or female, who she's lost contact with.

No mention either of the possibility that the main reason tawnies don't call in summer is because they're moulting and feeling low, like many moulting birds. Also, re the rarity of calling during the day, we have a male who does it regularly!

This sort of thing undermines my confidence in Mikkola's descriptions, some of which I can't relate to anything I've heard anyway. So I'll believe in a male kewick when I hear one! I don't count the pale imitations at nesting time -- they're just that, not a real call. Whereas the female hoot is real -- but how many know this call? Again, I don't understand Mikkola's description. The call is clearly phrased, just as well as the male's -- the point is it's not clearly audible over the same distances. Of course it makes me wonder if he's heard one properly. Apart from the "voice", it's different from the male's in having two to three short "hu"s between the first and last longer hoots, not just one. And you can hear it any time of the year -- it may be heard "especially in autumn" simply because late Aug is when a female fledgling hatched mid-April makes her first hoot. The first kewick seems to happen about 3 weeks later. He doesn't mention that the female hoot's distinguishing characteristic is that it's made by young ladies who have not yet found a mate. At least that's my experience based on three females whose life histories I know well.

To be fair to Mikkola, it seems to me that tawny calls are a tricky area as you can rarely see the calling bird or birds, so it's difficult or impossible to know what is going on, and of course it's easy to misattribute calls -- wrong bird, wrong sex, wrong activity or reaction. I do most of my listening and recording with individuals I know quite well (in a manner of speaking!), so I feel familiar with their behaviour and usually know who is talking to who, and even sometimes why! It's a dreadful thing to say, but I have the feeling that Mikkola doesn't know his tawnies as well as he might and was largely leafing through books and academic papers when he wrote that account on pages 140-42.

Do tell why you've been buzzed! Any contact -- did you get scratched? I've been soundly bopped on the back of the neck, but by a "friendly" female who didn't kick on contact.

My apologies for going on at such length, but I find tawny calls fascinating and feel they have not yet been done justice.

Last edited:
Whereas the female hoot is real -- but how many know this call? Again, I don't understand Mikkola's description. The call is clearly phrased, just as well as the male's -- the point is it's not clearly audible over the same distances. Of course it makes me wonder if he's heard one properly. Apart from the "voice", it's different from the male's in having two to three short "hu"s between the first and last longer hoots, not just one. And you can hear it any time of the year -- it may be heard "especially in autumn" simply because late Aug is when a female fledgling hatched mid-April makes her first hoot. The first kewick seems to happen about 3 weeks later. He doesn't mention that the female hoot's distinguishing characteristic is that it's made by young ladies who have not yet found a mate. At least that's my experience based on three females whose life histories I know well.

Romilly is absolutely right as usual: my usual alarm clock is a lone female who's never found a mate in four years - and she hoots a lot.

It's worth adding that there may be a simple reason why the male kewick has got into the literature. The reason is none other than these lonely females waiting patiently for a mate. They're quite capable of doing kewicks of course, and they do -- it's just that their preferred call seems to be the hoot, probably because it's their way of advertising themselves.

So it would be easy for someone unfamiliar with the female hoot to assume that a hooting female is a male, especially if the call is not heard nearby. Any kewicks made by the same bird would of course be attributed to a "male".

Females seem to drop the hoot from their repertoire on finding a mate. So far I've not heard a married female hooting.

Another reason might stem from the fact that there are occasionally second females on a territory. I suspect that some of these may be youngsters from a previous brood that have not been chased off. These birds are tolerated and go round in the company of either of the territory holders. A casual listener who heard just the two females together could easily conclude from the hoots of the junior bird that they were hearing a male-female pair, in which case any joint kewicking would be attributed to the supposed presence of the male.

As well as being out I've made hundreds of hours of unmanned recordings in tawny territories at night and have never heard anything that could remotely be interpreted as a male kewick -- apart from the imitations at the nest mentioned earlier. These are more part of tawny owl "conversations" -- another fascinating aspect of the vocalisations made by these remarkably communicative birds.

Dave, it would be nice to hear a recording of your female if you can get one!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back