• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary (1 Viewer)

tzmd

It's my first trip to Hawk Mtn this weekend!

Does anyone have any advice or special experiences to share?

I will be sure to post pictures on my return :)

Theresa.

It's my first trip to Hawk Mtn this weekend!

Does anyone have any advice or special experiences to share?

I will be sure to post pictures on my return :)

Theresa.

It is usually crowded on the week end. You park back by the Hawk Mountain Store. Lock all of your valuables in the trunk of your car. There have been breakins into cars in the past and the parking lot is large and in some areas isolated.

First thing is to go to the Headquarters in the store to pay your trail fee if you are not a member and get your pass and a map of the trail and and their inexpensive identification guide to raptors. Look over the map so you get an idea of what the interns and experienced watchers are talking about when they tell everyone where they see a hawk.

Then it is a short walk out across the road to the entrance where your pass is checked. From there it is a short walk up to the South Lookout. This is a good place to see Sharp-shins as they seem to like to fly across the valley and over the south lookout and thence over the parking lot.

Turn left there and go up the trail almost a mile to the North Look out. It's a bit rough so wear good shoes. Take a small pillow to sit on because there are a lot of rocks up there to sit on. Take a bottle of water or so. A long sleeved light shirt is also nice to have if it is warm and the bugs are out. Dress appropriately for the weather with layering.

Find a nice place to sit and relax looking up the valley and listen to the Interns and the experienced watchers.

Any decent 7 x 35 , 8 x 32 or 42, or 10 x 42 power binocular will be satisfactory. If you only have one that is smaller than those, it is OK too. The best binocular is the one you have with you. On the North Lookout the birds often fly right over your head.

Enjoy your trip!:t:

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Theresa,

Advice:
-wear sturdy shoes with good ankle support, the trail to the North Lookout is a little rugged
-take along something soft to sit on, nothing but rocks at the North Lookout
-take more clothing than you think you will need, it can get cold and windy quickly, think layers
-take plenty of water and snacks (stay away from soda unless you want to draw yellow-jackets)
-take your binoculars (obviously)
-wear a hat, you will be looking at an expansive blue sky this weekend
-bring along your painkiller of choice, looking up at a bright sky can give you a stiff neck or a headache
-the North Lookout typically is the best place to watch from
-if you are not well versed in raptor identification try to sit near the official counters as they will typically call out what they are seeing, or will be happy to answer questions about ID if you have any
-sit were you can see the "Owl Pole", we have been having a good flight of Sharpies, you may see some up close as they buzz the owl

You will need to pay the trail fee at the visitor center. The trail is across the road.

Saturday looks like it should be a good day NW to N winds.

I usually stay away from Hawk Mountain on the weekends due to the crowd but I understand, you have to go when you can.

There are other good hawk watches in Pennsylvania worth checking out. Look at their locations at this link

I may get out to Waggoner's Gap Hawk Watch tomorrow, a good place for Golden Eagles, especially later in the season.

Good Luck,
Mike

Thank you everyone for your advice and tips! You were right... It was REALLY crowded. Despite all the people we had a really good time. We actually took the harder trail up to the North Lookout to get away from all the people... so we had an extra adventure in rock climbing! I loved every minute of it. We actually bought a membership, so we can go back frequently, but I think I might try and stay away from the busier days so I can see more wildlife and birds along the trail.

Pictures from my trip are on my facebook page if you are interested. I tried to label them by memory from what I learned during the day, so forgive any ID mistakes.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=72873&id=1634949104&l=c0b51fd57d

Thanks again,
Theresa.

Great stuff. My relatives were part of the reason for establishing the sanctuary. They were the ones who shot all the hawks. Yes, indeed. Nice to see that time and habits have changed. They have/had some big farms down below..............

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back