• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have I wasted my money (1 Viewer)

foxydave

Thought I was doing the right thing by buying a ring flash now I read they give out a very flat light and are not good for macro ie butterfly's :C

I used a ring flash back in the film days (use a 24ex twin-light today), and while the ring flash sometimes could result in a rather flat image, I was generally pleased with the results. Yes, the 24ex is better, but it is also significantly more expensive.

Am I understanding you correctly that you haven't actually used it yet? If so, try it out and learn what the limitations are, and try to stay within them.

Thomas

I think, as with all things, it's a case of horses for courses. "Flatness" has often been levelled at ring-flash because the result is somewhat shadowless. Modern ring-flash tend to have two tubes which can be set at different strengths and so largely prevent this. There is another potential problem though: the bright shot reflection. The (rather expensive) Canon twin head macro-flash largely prevents that, but you do need a big budget.

Photos enclosed taken with Pentax *ist DS, Pentax 100mm macro lens and old Pentax ring-flash (I'd have to double check on the model), to show you what I mean about light reflection. In most shots it isn't this much of a problem - and certainly, except on decent sunny days, to get the best combination of shutter speed/f-stop/film speed a flash is just about essential. (ISO 400, 1/125, f11)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back