• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone been to Nias? (1 Viewer)

sebbe67

Hi,

Iam planing to go birdwathching sometime in the late January or in the begining of february. The place Iam most intrested in visiting is Nias, which is a quite large island west of Sumatra.

I havent been able to find a single bird report about this island on the internet, but what I have found out, it has a wonderful bird fauna, most bird species occuring on the island is represented by an endemic subspecies, other intresting animals such the bear-cat and saltwater crocodiles inhabit the island as well, therefore I was squite shooked to see that there dont seems to be many bird intrested people which are visiting the island.

I have found a few travel agencies which are doing trips to these islands, but its for a few days only and Iam planing to be away birdwatching a month at least.

So I would be happy if anyone could give me som advice about which time of the year its best to visit the island? how much has been devestaed by the tsunami? and if there is a god place to visit?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back