• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier? (1 Viewer)

I'd suggest Sharp-shinned for this bird. To me, the underpart streaking is not as crisp as in most Cooper's, especially not in their typical teardrop/tadpole shape. The head appears to be the same shade of cold brown as the wings. In direct comparison to the Red-bellied Woodpecker, the size comparison fits Sharpie better for me, too. Happy to concede differently if the majority feel it's a Cooper's.

underpart streaking is not as crisp as in most Cooper's, especially not in their typical teardrop/tadpole shape
The streaking is fine and narrow which is right for Cooper's hawk and wrong for most sharp-shinned hawks (typically blobbier). The feature not visible here is Cooper's hawk's characteristic narrowing of the streaking as it goes towards the lower belly, but that may just be because there's not enough belly visible.
head appears to be the same shade of cold brown as the wings
Not an ID feature, AFAIK.
Head/bill-shape is difficult to judge but forehead looks sloping which is right for Cooper's hawk (steep in sharp-shinned hawk). If the OP has photos which show the head more side-on it would be helpful.

I'd suggest Sharp-shinned for this bird. To me, the underpart streaking is not as crisp as in most Cooper's, especially not in their typical teardrop/tadpole shape. The head appears to be the same shade of cold brown as the wings. In direct comparison to the Red-bellied Woodpecker, the size comparison fits Sharpie better for me, too. Happy to concede differently if the majority feel it's a Cooper's.
Yeah, I've struggled with identification. I sent this pic to the MN DNR and they responded with "young Cooper's Hawk", including a lot of info on other potentials, such as Goshawk, Sharp-Shinned, etc. All I know is that except for the demise of the woodpecker, it was a fantastic show.
BTW, great username Mr. "BirdMeister".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back