• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier, Corsica (1 Viewer)

Val35

Hello, I spotted this harrier today in Corsica while guiding a bird walk for the local birdwatching group. I would make it a Pallid but not entirely sure, both Pallid and Montagu's were reported from this area during the past few days.
Thanks !

DSCN9296.JPG

Transitional harriers in 2 calendar year are real pitfalls. Part of the head plumage is already moulted or bleached by the African sun so ID features in Monty and Pallid are diluted. Pro Pallid features are extreme collar (but not joining at throat maybe due to moult?). Same is true for dark cheek not joining bill due to moult?
Reduced white around eye and very clear dark eye stripe behind eye clearly better for Pallid. So on balance I'm going with Pallid sec cal y male

Transitional harriers in 2 calendar year are real pitfalls. Part of the head plumage is already moulted or bleached by the African sun so ID features in Monty and Pallid are diluted. Pro Pallid features are extreme collar (but not joining at throat maybe due to moult?). Same is true for dark cheek not joining bill due to moult?
Reduced white around eye and very clear dark eye stripe behind eye clearly better for Pallid. So on balance I'm going with Pallid sec cal y male

Thanks, I asked 2 local birders with experience on both species, they also lean towards 2cy Pallid.
One of the participants managed to get an underwing shot as the bird briefly took off, I'll upload it here when he sends it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back