• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hardwick Park (Hardwick Hall) (1 Viewer)

mattwhite

I thought I would start a thread on Hardwick Park because now the weather is improving I will be visiting quite regularly with my partner and kids. The fine weather brought a lot of people out and the place was quite busy but still managed to see quite a few birds.
A lot of work has been done here over the last year. A new feeding station has been created and the woven willow screen around it is almost complete. It will be interesting to see what shows up here in the future.

On the lakes:
Loads of Mallard, Coot and Moorehen.
A pair of Great Crested Grebes and a single one at opposite ends of the big lake. Will be interesting to see if they breed here.
Mute Swan x12
Tufted Duck x10
Canada Goose x3
Loads of Gulls. I only ID'd the Black Headed Gulls, I need to improve my skills at ID'ing the various species of Gull! Quite a few 1st Winter Gulls around.

Around the lakes:
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Robins
A pair of Goldfinches
Chaffinch

Has anyone else seen anything of note here in the past?

Matt

Matt

The sightings for Hardwick seem to be getting posted on the General site but I thought I would keep this going as you have taken the time to start the thread. Just a very quick visit today but I felt so priveleged to see two Great Crested grebes doing their courtship dance close up. Well worth the visit. Also present the usual Mallard ,Coots ,Moorhen, Mute Swans, 6 Cananda geese and 2 Greylags also 2 Goldeneye. I wa stalking to a photographer while there, he has an exibition at the park for a few weeks starting the 3rd week in April of the coots from the park. Should be worth a visit if anyone is in the area.

I had a quick visit yesterday afternoon with my youngest son to feed the ducks. It was freezing cold and blowing a gale so we didn't stay too long! Didn't see the Crested Grebes as they were at the far end of the lake.

As well as the usual we saw a couple of Pied Wagtails and a Cormorrant flew over.

Has anyone else seen anything of note here in the past?

Matt

I've never seen anything of note here though at a stretch you could include the White Stork that was on the north side in 2008.

Most notable for me about the place is the Kingfishers and Goosanders on the Serpentine. Every now and again you see Tawny Owl in the same area. The woods can be good for species such as Nuthatch and Treecreeper which aren't that common in my area. Also Spotted Flycatcher, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff breed here.

The Grebes are always nice to see and there's a good sized colony of Sand Martins.

The dam wall and SW corner of the lake are very good for dragonflies in the summer.

2 Treecreeper there today near the new visitor centre, the 4 GC Grebes are still there and 2 little grebe.
The attached must be the reason the birds like to keep to the centre of the lake, the owners obviousely think the lake is a dog bath.

Attachments

• _MG_5930.JPG
    _MG_5930.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 99
  • _MG_5933.JPG
    _MG_5933.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 96
2 Treecreeper there today near the new visitor centre, the 4 GC Grebes are still there and 2 little grebe.
The attached must be the reason the birds like to keep to the centre of the lake, the owners obviousely think the lake is a dog bath.

Scuzz
At least the dog looks suitably embarrassed in the first picture, which is most probably be more than the thick owners would ever be.

Paul

Same when I was there last week. Two lots throwing balls into the lake for dogs to retrieve.

Same when I was there last week. Two lots throwing balls into the lake for dogs to retrieve.

I Ian, It makes you wonder, what part of, keep the dog on a lead, they don't understand, especially when they can see you with a camera, waiting to photograph the birds.
Maybe they think we've turned up special, to photograph there dog.

Hi,

I was there on Thursday morning, the weather was excellent for part of that time at least and I saw:

On the lakes:
Mallard
Coot
Moor hen.
Mute Swan
Tufted Duck
Canada Goose x2
Various Gull

Around the lakes:
Blue Tit x4
Robin x3
A pair of Goldfinches
Chaffinch
A pair of Bullfinches
Tree Creeper x3

Stobbie

Had a walk round with my wife this afternoon. The usual Mallards, Moorhen & Coots on the Serpentine. Jackdaws using their old tree nesting hole again.

On the big lake, lots of Tufted Ducks, a few Pochard, Mallard, Mute Swans, Great Crested Grebes and loads of Sand Martins and Swallows flying about:t:

Others around the park included Song Thrush, Blackbird, Chiff-chaff, Reed Bunting, Blue, Great and Longtailed Tits, Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Treecreeper.

Attachments

• Sand Martin1.jpg
    Sand Martin1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 85
  • Swallow.jpg
    Swallow.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Treecreeper1.jpg
    Treecreeper1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 98
  • GC Grebes.jpg
    GC Grebes.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Song Thrush.jpg
    Song Thrush.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 93
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back