• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handa Island for the Great and Arctic Skuas (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

I aim to travel to the above location this spring, to try and photograph Skuas. I understand they are a summer visitor. I dont want to go all that way only to find I have gone too soon and no birds present. Please may I enquire when the skuas return to their Handa Island ?

Great Skuas should be there in May. You'll walk through their nesting area on the path to the top of the island.

A good time to go, too, as there's fewer midges about then LOL.

More info on the Opus article, with some links: Handa Island - BirdForum Opus

It will be interesting to see just how big of a 'hit' the Bonxie population around Scotland's islands has taken from the ongoing HPAI virus. Some of the figures that were around last summer with regards losses at various breeding colonies looked very worrying for the species population as a whole. Hopefully they can claw their way back from that over the next few years.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back