• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (2 Viewers)

Thanks - shame you can't reveal the roost, but obv completely understandable! What is the best time of day to spot them?

I've found the best time to see them is just at the point at which you are packing away because you think it's getting too dark to see them!
Sounds daft, but over the years a significant proportion of my Hen Harrier sightings have been seen at or around sundown.
David

There is a regular wintering male in the Shatterford area and its there this winter so I'd do a loop in this area - you have a very good chance of seeing it.

cheers, alan

Mostly distant, but over 100 Red-throated diver went West out of the Solent this morning between 8.00 and 11.30, (more seen later too). Good numbers of Gannet over the shingle bank near the Needles and a sprinkling of Kittiwakes, Guillemots and Razorbill.

Thanks for all the New Forest info folks, looking forward to heading down there Friday and see what I can find ...

Nice sighting of 20+ Waxwing in my local Morrisons car park (GU14 0NA) 08:45 this morning!

Had a cracking day Saturday. Warsash in the morning: Caught a glimpse of a bittern, so fleeting as to be only 90% sure at first , but then met a local who offered unsolicited that there was one in the area we'd seen it, so am now happy to give a it a mental tick.

Also at least a dozen snipe, mostly round the lagoon, and the usual mixture of widgeon, gadwall, teal, little grebe, curlew, redshank, a few pin-tail, oyster catchers, turnstones, egret, usual gulls, etc. .. and one solitary reed bunting.

Pub lunch, then back home in late afternoon, sitting half-dozing in armchair, saw through my lounge window , in one 30 minute spell, grey heron land in garden, then little owl, kestrel, and finally a barn owl, in paddock just behind garden .

If only Saints' game at Rochdale hadn't been called off, it would have been the perfect day! --assuming we'd won ;-)

K.

Last edited:
The White-tailed Eagle showed well today about 11am east of Old Basing, appeared from the woods and soared for about 10 mins mobbed by Buzzards and a Red Kite, then went down to the south of Blackland's Farm. It had been looked for since first light but had presumably sat tight in the showery weather. I understand it was seen again a couple of times in the afternoon.

I went to Pipers Wait in the New Forest hoping a walk between the two highest points of the forest would provide some views of Hawks and failed to see any.

Did get a great view of a Great Grey Shrike also saw a Tawny Owl so went home happy.

And I had a Black Redstart in my works carpark.

Last edited:
I went to Pipers Wait in the New Forest hoping a walk between the two highest points of the forest would provide some views of Hawks and failed to see any.

There were two hawk species on show at Acres Down on Sunday morning, I'd hazard a guess that good views would have been available over the last couple of fine days too.

A pair of Stonechat at Keyhaven this afternoon, behind Iley Point, my first this year.

Several Chiff-Chaff near the Balancing pond on Thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_4980-c-r-f.jpg
    IMG_4980-c-r-f.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 68
Single Swallow over Keyhaven Lagoon this morning also two Water Pipits on there still; out in the forest this afternoon had great views of Lesser Spot in Brinken Wood, drumming virtually non-stop from 15:00 - 15:30 (this did help make it relatively easy to find) ;), Holmsley Passage on the way home gave up the first pair of Stonechats seen there since last year and also Dartfords, Linnets, Greenfinches and a (non-feeder) Blue tit.

Attachments

• IMG_5349-c-r-f.jpg
    IMG_5349-c-r-f.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 63
Keyhaven 27/3

At least 2 Ruff on Fishtail Lagoon this afternoon plus a pink Water Pipit, several Spotshanks (saw 5 in total on various lagoons) - including one that was actually 'spotted' - and 2 LRPs.

Skidmore 30/03

Had a walk around Skidmore (SU3517) in the rain this morning and there were 2 House Martins and a Swallow flying with 50+ Sand Martins over the River Test. My earliest ever House Martin but I expect it would be a late date for a coastal birder |^|. There was also a pair of Mandarin and still some Redwings and Fieldfares.

Had a walk around Skidmore (SU3517) in the rain this morning and there were 2 House Martins and a Swallow flying with 50+ Sand Martins over the River Test. My earliest ever House Martin but I expect it would be a late date for a coastal birder |^|. There was also a pair of Mandarin and still some Redwings and Fieldfares.

Saw a solitary martin yesterday, Sunday 3rd, over our house, near Whitchurch... first of the year and very early for us. Looking forward now to the swifts returning soon to nest outside my office window.

K.

Time for the monthly Hampshire post: a seawatch this morning was interesting without being too exciting, Black, Common and Arctic Terns, loads of Whimbrel and Barwits, often in mixed flocks, Little Gull, several Scoter, distant Fulmars, many Gannets constantly active, one Arctic Skua which passed through too early for my 7.00 am start, Swifts, Swallows and House Martins coming in steadily, Little Terns fishing the beach almost constantly.

A quick pre-lunch tour of the marsh produced two Little Stints, Ruff in almost full sum plum, ditto Spotshank, 8 Little Gulls over (and the one previously seen from Hurst was on the Butts Lagoon), and one fine male Garganey.

This afternoon I just had to go for the Dotterel, too much heat haze for any good pics, this one was about the best I got.

Attachments

• IMG_5998-c-f.jpg
    IMG_5998-c-f.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 92
A seawatch from Hurst today sounds very similar to John's previous post:
1 Black Tern
1 Roseate Tern
lots of Common Terns
1 Arctic Skua (plus two earlier distant birds which I think I mis-identified as skuas...oops)
2 Fulmars
1 Hobby, in-off (distant, but distinctive enough)
A few Scoters, Whimbrel, Sanderling, Bar-wits etc.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back