• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire dragonflies (2 Viewers)

Alder Gully Pond, Testwood Lakes 04/06

Had an excellent lunchtime with 13 species in 1.75 hrs

Additional species to yesterday in bold

Damselflies:

Banded Demoiselle 2, Beautiful Demoiselle 1

Blue-tailed, Common Blue 1, Azure (many), Red-eyed (5 inc ovi f), Large Red

Dragonflies

Emperor 2 (m + ovi f), Downy Emerald 1, Four-spotted Chaser (m + ovi f), Broad-bodied Chaser 1 (f), Scarce Chaser 1 (m), Black-tailed Skimmer 1
I've seen 18 species on this pond which, using the Dragonflies of Hampshire criterion, makes it an "outstanding assemblage site".

Cheers, Paul

Silver Stream / Ober Water 6/6/9

13 species in about 2.5 hrs west of Puttles bridge at lunchtime. Shame it wasn't a sunny, windless day!

New species for me for the year in blue

Banded Demoiselle 1
Beautiful Demoiselle 100s
Blue-tailed Damselfly 2
Azure Damselfly 1 on Silver Stream, several on Ober Water
Southern Damselfly 11 males (Silver Stream)
Large Red Damselfly 100s
Small Red Damselfly 2
White-legged Damselfly 11
Emperor Dragonfly 1
Golden-ringed Dragonfly 2
Four-spotted Chaser 1
Broad-bodied Chaser 10+
Keeled Skimmer 10+

Left Welly full of a forest mire :C

Cheers, Paul

Rushbush Pond 7/6/9

What a difference a week makes! The cold, windy and mostly cloudy weather meant few dragonflies were showing. The highlight was my first Emerald Damselfly of the year (quite an early date) ... plus a Peregrine which came over to have a go at two of the local Buzzards.

Paul

The cold, windy and mostly cloudy weather meant few dragonflies were showing.

.........and there was me thinking I was just carp at finding dragonflies. It's always good to know why you're struggling.

I saw very few Dragons but still a fair few Damsels at Keyhaven on Sunday morning ( nothing like the numbers seen there on Saturday) and snuck out after the rain in the late afternoon to some lovely looking ponds at Markway and saw just a handful of Damsels, mostly Bluetails.

Ponds at Markway enclosure:

(needed a smaller lens really), they are much easier on the eye than, say, Slufters pond, is this likely to make them more or less attractive to Odonata?

Attachments

• IMG_7842_converted_(1024x683).jpg
    IMG_7842_converted_(1024x683).jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7843_converted_(1024x683).jpg
    IMG_7843_converted_(1024x683).jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7844_converted_(1024x683).jpg
    IMG_7844_converted_(1024x683).jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 148
.........and there was me thinking I was just carp at finding dragonflies. It's always good to know why you're struggling.

I saw very few Dragons but still a fair few Damsels at Keyhaven on Sunday morning ( nothing like the numbers seen there on Saturday) and snuck out after the rain in the late afternoon to some lovely looking ponds at Markway and saw just a handful of Damsels, mostly Bluetails.

Ponds at Markway enclosure:

(needed a smaller lens really), they are much easier on the eye than, say, Slufters pond, is this likely to make them more or less attractive to Odonata?

Late afternoon on a cool day is never going to bring out the dragons. They'll be there all tucked up on the vegetation for the night. (I was at Slufters Sunday pm but fortunately left before a prolonged heavy shower - because there was nothing to see).

I think if you go back to Markway sometime between 11-3 on a sunny day you'll see a lot more species. I would expect there to be Large Red, Red-eyed, Common Blue and Azure as well as Blue-tailed damsels - there's a mix of open water and surface vegetation. - and with all the surrounding dense vegetation I'd expect Emerald Damselfly (only just getting going). There will likely be Broad-bodied Chasers, possibly Four-spotted, and Keeled Skimmers will be on the nearby mires. Emperors seem to be at every pond in the forest. All the large dragonflies seem to appear everywhere so when the hawkers get going they'll show up. I'd be surprised if you didn't have a Downy Emerald or two at present. When I get home I'll look up what's been seen in the area in the past.

What's the nearest place to park to get there? Wilverley Plain?

Regards, Paul

Nearest parking is at SU242022, the ponds are at SU249023.

Had a quick check in the database and there are very few records from Markway Inclosure... so I might have been guessing nonsense! However there's Duckhole bog next to it so must have some chance of a good number of species.

When I get back at the end of June and if we get the promised long hot summer I'll check the ponds out.

Paul

Hampshire Blues

I've put together two pics, each of Southern, Azure and Common Blue damselfly males - probably the only three blue damsels in Hants now.

The first shows them from above (left to right) so that you can see the key differences in segments 2 and 8,9 and note the broader antehumeral stripes in Common.

The second shows them from the side (top to bottom) where you can see the Coenagrion spur on Southern and Azure which is clearly absent on Common.

I haven't got enough pics do do a comparison of females yet - always difficult to find or just seen in a mating wheel |;|

Attachments

• sac.jpg
    sac.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 70
  • sac_side.jpg
    sac_side.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 61
Thanks Paul, very useful.

I've ordered a copy of "Brooks", it should be with me soon.

I'll check out Markway on a better day some time soon, (assuming we get one). It's not birded much up there so maybe it gets missed.

Quite a few Dragonflies around Holmsley gravel pit this morning (SZ207989), including Emperor, Keeled Skimmer, Four spotted chaser and a couple too distant for me to ID but I think one may have been *Hairy*. Damselflies also well represented with at least Common, Azure and Large Red.

Had a look at the old quarry workings also at Holmsley yesterday (in poor conditions) and saw a few damsels, no dragons seen but evidence of them from exuvia. Possibly also a *Hairy"? Pics are of the old quarry at SU216011

Attachments

• IMG_7900-c-r modified.jpg
    IMG_7900-c-r modified.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7875-r modified.jpg
    IMG_7875-r modified.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7876-r modified.jpg
    IMG_7876-r modified.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 50
Had a quick check in the database and there are very few records from Markway Inclosure...

I had a look this morning with the sun shining intermittently, quite a good variety seen, Small Red and Large Red Damselfly, Beautiful Demoiselle, Common, Azure and Bluetail Damselfly, Emperor, Broad bodied Chasers, Four-spotted Chasers, Black-tailed Skimmers and Keeled Skimmers, which were the most numerous, probably at least ten. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any Dragons but someone with more experience may well find some other Damsels.

Last edited:
Looked at Holmsley Quarry again this morning, not so many dragons as at Markway but all the same species, not so many damsels either and only saw the three most common Blue varieties. Nice surprise on the way back to the car was a Golden-ringed on the heath.

Attachments

• IMG_8198-c-r-f.jpg
    IMG_8198-c-r-f.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 60
Walked up along one of the streams in Holmsley Inclosure today, this area was cleared a couple of years back as part of the scheme to restore the *valley mires* in the Forest.

I've no idea what it was like before for odonata but it was crawling with Keeled Skimmers today, males every couple of yards all along one 500 yard section, plenty of Beautiful Ds and Large Red Damsels, very few Blue Damsels and none of them stopped long enough for me to ID them. Only one female Keeled Skimmer seen.

Red-veined Darter

I've been sent some pics by Paul Norris and there's been a Red-veined Darter at Badminston GP since 1st June - still there today.

Paul

Southampton Common 01/07/09

Walked from Highfield to the Boating and Ornamental lakes and back at lunchtime.

Species encountered were

Blue-tailed, Common Blue, Azure and Large Red damselflies;
Emperor, Black-tailed Skimmer, Broad-bodied chaser, Golden-ringed (good record), Red-veined Darter male flying over and around the Boating Lake (a new species for me on the Common).

Looking forward to some quieter (peoplewise) New Forest sites at the weekend!

I spent last weekend at Godshill near Fordingbridge and walked a fair bit around Great Cockley Pain, Ditchend Brook and Must Thorns Bottom.

One section of the brook with a largish pool held more odonata than I've ever seen in one place before.

Emperor, pair inc oviposing fem on the Ditchend pool
Broad-bodied Chaser, in several places but quite a few at the pool
Keeled Skimmer, numerous throughout
Golden-ringed Dragonfly, several along the Ditchend Brook
Beautiful Demoiselle, thinly distributed
Large Red Damselfly, fairly common
Azure Damselfly, most of the blue damsels Ided
Common Blue Damselfly, most of the rest
Blue-tailed Damselfly, Very small numbers around the ditchend pool
Small Red Damselfly, in a couple of areas but only small numbers.

Most blue damsels were too active to id and I may have overlooked Southern. I don't think I missed any Scarce Blue-tails though.

Attachments

• golden-ringed_dragon_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    golden-ringed_dragon_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 64
  • keeled_skimmer_male_27jun09_800l_20a.jpg
    keeled_skimmer_male_27jun09_800l_20a.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 68
  • keeled_skimmer_wheel_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    keeled_skimmer_wheel_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 59
And a few more pics.

Attachments

• large_red_damsel_female_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    large_red_damsel_female_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 55
  • large_red_damsel_male_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    large_red_damsel_male_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 51
  • small_red_damsel_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    small_red_damsel_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
  • beautiful_demoiselle_male_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    beautiful_demoiselle_male_27jun09_800l_20.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 51
I spent last weekend at Godshill near Fordingbridge and walked a fair bit around Great Cockley Pain, Ditchend Brook and Must Thorns Bottom.

One section of the brook with a largish pool held more odonata than I've ever seen in one place before.

Most blue damsels were too active to id and I may have overlooked Southern. I don't think I missed any Scarce Blue-tails though.

Hi Brian

I must walk along there. On my visits to the general area I walk (southish) over the hill to the Ashley Hole bomb craters and come back down Little Cockley Plain and then a failry small section along Ditchend to the track back to the car park - and it's always late afternoon for Ditchend so I've been disappointed!

I'm pretty sure that there have never been any Southern Damselflies recorded from the area but there aren't any NBN records for the area past 1997.

Cheers, Paul

That section of the brook (near the Ashley Walk crossing) was totally dry last weekend. Southerns are not far away on the Latchmore Brook so I wondered if they might be here. Perhaps not.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back