• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire birders! (2 Viewers)

I believe they do still occur.
But there are better places, I had a maximum of 60 on my local duck pond last winter, this year I haven't yet seen more than 30 there, but I have barley looked.

You can't go there without seeing one anyway!
Anyone who wants more details let me know.

Rich

TOny they are still there but a little shy.

Redwing, suggest a date for either Fleet Pond (a morning is best before the dog walkers and pushchairs!) or a Hawfinch search!! in the forest, are you free the 26th, which might be possible for me. We can meet at Fleet Station easily and do a 2 hour circuit or so there, Moor Green Lakes are nearby which can also be good.

I did find Hawfinches in the Beaulieu Rd Station area a few years ago, but have usually dipped due to lack of local knowledge (same with Firecrest sites?) since then.

I agree a nice spring day would be good fun looking for warblers etc.

Fleet one spring morning sounds good to me.
26th of April is a Saturday, and at the moment I would not be free though with this much notice, I could be I am sure.
Booga, you would prefer a Sunday though would you?

Who else is up for it?

Rich

Last edited:
Camberley red said:
We should sort out a Sunday soon, or wait for the Wood Warblers and Redstarts to return to the New Forest! or perhaps Richard knows a good spot?

Paul

There are Wood warbler and Redstart sites at this end of the county (NE) also, no problem seeing those when the time comes. Devil punch bowl at Hindhead, (just in surrey) Is good for Wood Warbler.

Rich

Yep guys a Sunday would be better for me as Saturdays are Generally devoted to Lizzie and Long dogwalks. I could, however, wrangle it if needs be. Don't worry I won't bring the dog birding, and if I did I'd make sure he stayed in his pushchair!!

Loud families at fleet pond do my head in but due to one large family of loud boys who scared off the redpolls I was watching from the bracket fungi observation deck as they passed they scared over towards me 3 nuthatces who I was able to observe from about 10 feet for 15 mins, karma payed off.

Carpenters down woods (10 mins from me on foot) is a brilliant habitat for all kinds of birds, consisting of deciduous, coniferous, marsh and scrub area. Firecrest have been spotted before. Good place for sparrowhawks too, probably due to the massive tit population. You'd be interested to know that I have seen Hawfinches here too Paul. Excellent for deer, fox and badger too if you like them.

Take care

Booga

Hello chaps I think I was looking at January on my Calendar! just set a date, early for winter stuff or April for migrants. Fleet Pond is OK between 06:00 and 09:00 at weekends usually and can be very good. No problems poping down to Basingstoke, never birded that area before, otherwise its the Forest and Keyhaven perhaps, which makes a good long day with plenty of variety. Just post a date.

I would be interested in a Hawfinch hunt at Carpenter's Wood Booga, are there Marsh and Willow Tit as well by any chance?

Redwing, I did't know about Wood Warbler at Hindhead, is that in Surrey or Hants, as I believe there were no sightings of the species in Surrey at all in 2002!

looking forward to a day or two out.

Paul

There are marsh and/or willow tits, sorry but my ability to tell the difference isn't too good at this stage. You can also find long-tailed, coal, blue and great-tits in various parts of the woods. I'm off there this afternoon so I'll try and locate, last time I saw a couple in an area of Beech trees. I'll work out a date soon.

Hindhead is in Surrey. The devils' punchbowl is an amazing place, I haven't been there since I started birding though so thanks for the tip Rich.

Booga

Fleet pond - How about Sunday 23rd March
I am running low on free Sundays now.

I had at least two singing male wood warbler at the devils punch bowl (surrey), about 100m from the car park in the spring last year. I'm not sure of the exact date but it would have been mid april.

Rich

Its in the diary redwing. Thanks for the information on the Punch Bowl Wood Warblers, I'll try there this year, I must get to your wood booga, I'll drop you a private note for directions etc.

thanks

Paul

Hi Rich

Thanks for putting me onto this site via hoslist, I'm up for a Fleet Pond trip or wherever. I'm usually fairly flexible on dates

Martin

Hi Martin

Welcome to Birdforum. :t:

I hope you have had a look around, there is loads of information on here about all kinds of Birds and wildlife, photography etc, from around the globe, the only trouble is keeping up with it all.

Where in Hants are you, it must be fairly near me?

Welcome

Rich

Last edited:
Hey Rich

It's Martin Orchard-Webb, BTW, I've posted a reply to your Pagham trip on 5 Apl, - can't make it, as its HOS GGS count day. But as I'm in Grayshott, and (I think) you're in Whitehill, if you want to share a car to Fleet Pond/Pagham etc. then can do.

Any news from Woolmer - I haven't been down for 10 days.

Martin

Hi again

Sorry couldn't tell exactly who it was.

Woolmer has been quiet recently though I expect thinks to hot up pretty soon.
There has been a Lesser Spot Woodpecker around though. I haven't popped in for a while myself.

Your right I am in Whitehill.

Rich

Hey guys, if you go to fleet pond give me a shout :)

BTW isn't hoslist getting off target with the all out war emerging? Over half of todays digest was insults and aruments, the irony being they are saying it should be for bird reports only (i agree) yet not really talking about birds!

Glad we got BF, if it was only Hoslist, I'd feel quite isolated.

Yeah I agree its just getting bitchy and silly.
I must admit I have distanced myself from it a bit since I discovered BF.
Generally it's good though and I couldn't bring myself to Unsubscribe, though sometimes I feel like it.

Rich

Ogdens near fordingbridge 15/2/03
Goshawk
Brambling
Crossbill
were the best birds
wood lark, redstart, whinchat, breed there
my best record here is raven last summer
its a nice walk, along the stream then right to the plantation
hope this is of some interest
ps
the royal oak in north gorley is the best pub in the area

The SDBWS ( http://www.sdbws.ndo.co.uk/ ) have a coach trip to Keyhaven and Pennington Marshes on Sunday. Has anyone any recent sightings from this area, please ? Anyone in the area is welcome to join us for the day - if you see a well-dressed crowd clustered around a virile young man, you've found the wrong group! We should be down there about ten - ten-thirty.

Tony

Hi Guys

I'd also be interested if I can get to you okay. Which station do I need for Fleet from Westminster/Victoria area?

Peter

Waterloo - it's the Basingstoke train. Go to Fleet station, cross the car park and there is the Pond. Walk around it in a clockwise direction if it's sunny, as then the sun won't be in your eyes.

Tony

Last edited:
T0ny

Keyhaven/Pennington is one of the sites I should have visited, but I have only been once.
I can't recall what I have heard about, in the way of recent siting recently from there but I am sure there will be plenty of Waterfowl and waders and a good variety of species.

Let us know how it goes, and what you see.

Cheers

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back