• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (1 Viewer)

Newport wetlands this morning produced a grand total of 73 Black tailed godwit! Thats alot more compared to the aslt few weeks. Also the knot have doubled over night and are now upto 70+. Again on the doubling theme, there were 2 spotted redshank this morning and 3 common redshank have appeared after a long absense from the pools.

Other birds about included, 2 common sand, 2 green sand, 2 greenshank, 1 ruff, 1 snipe, a few dunlin and ringed plover, also 1 little ringed plover which was a nice suprise, 12 little egret, 1 wheatear and loads of yellow wagtails. Probably over 20.

Warblers today included 1 lesser whitethroat, 2 whitethroat and a few willow warbler

Last edited:
Garnlydan Reservoir - early afternoon produced, 30+ meadow pipit, 2 skylark, 5 whinchat which consisted of a male, a female, and 3 juvs. Also 4 wheatear which seemed to be hanging around with the whinchats.

The Red Kites seem to be back to normal as i have seen them regularly over the moors over the past few weeks. there are usually 2-3 that spend all winter up on the moor along with a hen harrier or two which should start to appear in the next month or two. i think last year the first one appeared at the end of october/beginning of november.

Newport wetlands - Goldcliff lagoons

There seems to be a real issue at the moment which has provoked the odd sarcastic comment from our neighbouring county and generally making all the regular birders at the reserve a bit annoyed.

After the recent very high tides, alot of water had got into the lagoons, but this hasnt been removed. At present there is no mud what so ever which obviously leads to there being very few waders. Nearbly sites are getting curlew sand and the odd little stint coming through but the pools have yet to produce.

Hopefully, if enough people comment the reserve staff might just do something about it and drain alot of the water back out!

Luke,

it is the same every year.I think it was last year before the autumn high tide cycle there was plenty of mud which meant good chances of a good weekends birding. The reserve management team could have waited till the monday to fill the lagoons ready for the winter but no filled it saturday a.m. Despite representation from GOS.

The reserve is in no way managed for birders. Hence the useless viewing platforms no access to the western side at Goldcliff so awful viewing conditions past around 11 am, no way to get out of the wind/rain, vegetation allowed to grow up in front of the useless viewing platforms so you can't see past it etc, etc.

Its worse if you have a dog even if you keep them on a lead, some of the most interesting lagoons at uskmouth cannot be visited. They bothered to drive down and tell me this one rainy morning when I was the only person on the reserve and 50 yards away from where I should have been. I can't stand the place and the petty, sanctimonious rules and regulations. I Don't visit it at all now but probably will for a twitch if they ever leave some habitat visible for a bird to be found.

I also forecast a few years ago that they would start managing predators and thats another reason why I won't visit and if I do why I won't submit any details of predation.

To me it represents everything that is wrong about so called conservation. An open air zoo, designed as a cynical "green" token gesture by politico's, industry and the conservation industry itself.

Heres a reply to all the comments that have been made over the past few days. its from the reserve manager:

'An explanation for the high water levels at Goldcliff Lagoons:- I understand the need to have low water levels particularly during the autumn migration. However the reason the saline lagoons are so good for watching waders is the abundance of invertebrate life. Invertebrate biomass is kept high by maintaining the salinity between 10 and 20 parts per thousand. In a normal summer on the Gwent levels the salinity would be very high due to evapouration and we could manage that by adding freshwater. This process can be done without drastically flooding the lagoons. This summer has been particularly wet therefore salinities are low and likely to get very low with autumn / winter rain. If I let the salinity decrease to far the saline invertebrates start to die off. The only way I can maintain salinity levels is to let the tide on. I can only do this effectively on very high tides. Now that we have achieved an acceptable level of salinity we will lower the water level as soon as possible. Hope this helps, Tom Dalrymple (Reserve Manager)'

here are a few comments from the GOS sighting page, i think they are great!

from 'Mr Pec Sand'
flew up to the pools this morning to drop in and feed,but lack of mud had me circle the lagoons twice and fly across the estuary to avon.On my way across i bumped into semi-p and he had done the same but only 10 minutes earlier.Its a shame because i was looking forward to meeting up with my trans-atlantic friends that said they would be visiting.

From Mr pec sand after the explantation from The reserve manager:
Myslef and mr semi-p will be over as soon as you let some water out.I did see mr white rumped sand today and he said he would pop across the estuary shortly aswell.Please drain some water out quickly as we will have to move on shortly.PS we all love it there.THANKS A VERY CONCERNED PEC SANDPIPER.XX

Also this one:
From 'A hunry curlew'
Thank you for monitoring the salinity levels as we have been getting hungry, due to the lack of invertibrates. I've been away from Goldcliff lagoons for a few days due to the high water but myself and many of my friends will be returning shortly x

So hopefully all will be back to normal soon!

Well, after all the issues with the water levels at the wetlands, and everyone saying we are not going to get any little stints, curlew sand, and any other mega rare wader, i went down this morning and found a little stint! All on its own wandering around the shingle island. but it was joined by 2 LRP, so its wasnt too lonely
The other highlights of the day all came from the estuary where i found a summer plumaged grey plover! incredible bird. that was then joined by another, but in winter plumage? Also 4 bar tailed godwit with the curlew, 20+ knot and loads of curlew and oystercatcher.

Heres my wader list for this morning!
Little stint
LRP
ringed plover
dunlin
knot
redshank
greenshank
grey plover
green sand
common sand
ruff
bar tailed godwit
black tailed godwit
curlew
whimbrel
oystercatcher

16 species!

just had a look at the gwent sightings page and just noticed a comment sayign that theres a juv male balck redstart on the rassau ind estate! i only live 5 mins away so will have to have a look first thing. shame the person wasnt more precise as he only said the estate? It could be anywhere!

All records from hills above Bassaleg, Newport 1/2 hour check before work.

September 3rd
Wheatear, Blackcap, songthrush, 2 mipit over (1st of autumn), 30 house martin, 7 Goldfinch, 1 blue tit.

September 4th
Spotted Flycatcher, 3 Chiffchaff, 1 pied Wagtail, 1 blackbird, 1 Goldcrest (1st of Autumn)
1 Yellowhammer

September 6th
Redstart 2, whinchat 1, Raven 1, Mistle Thrush 1, Chiffchaff 3, Blackcap 1,Yellowhammer 2

Black Redstart!

after going down to goldcliff this morning and not seeing alot besides an Ad Winter Ruff, 1 spotted redshank, 1 green sandpiper, 3 LRP, i quickly checked the GOS website and found details of where the black redstart was, which was reported on friday.
So i rather quickly got in the car and shot up there (its only 10 mins from home!) and found the place and saw it as i pulled into the factory car park! i wastched it until it dissapeared into the next unit. I shall be back this evening!

Attachments

• IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 196
Well... what ever next! A rarity in blaenau gwent? YES!

The black redstart proved quite popular with a numebr of birders coming to have a look. it was still showing really well when we left at 6:45 this evening.

I'll post any decent pics i got, and a few other will later, hopefully? (mike, gary and nathan!)

heres a few pics, not very good but they show what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 166
Thanks for the pics of my black redstart

Hi Luke,
i had seen the bird while at work at unit 13 all week but didnt have my bins. Thanks for great pics, its a great feeling to find a rarity ive always followed every one else to the good birds before.
Thanks,
Paul

Yes they were cracking views!Here is a couple of my attempts.Not the best but I will probably try for a better pic tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

Thanks for the find Paul.Its a little gem.Welcome to the Birdforum.

Attachments

• IMG_9349.jpg
    IMG_9349.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_9350.jpg
    IMG_9350.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
pics

couple of pics from ths eve.

Attachments

• bredstart.jpg
    bredstart.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 156
  • bredstart1_1.jpg
    bredstart1_1.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 149
  • bredstart2.jpg
    bredstart2.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 135
Just landed from a few days in the Alpujarras (great time walking) and look what's happened at home ! Will get a few hours shut eye and hopefully get along to see the bird - if it's still there?

Hi Luke,
i had seen the bird while at work at unit 13 all week but didnt have my bins. Thanks for great pics, its a great feeling to find a rarity ive always followed every one else to the good birds before.
Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for posting your find paul! and welcome to the forum.

Hi all,
Just a quick note. I have been informed that some of the birders coming to see the black redstart have been throwing seed around to attract it. Please refrain from doing this, this is food site and this will attract vermin. Also please could you respect the area by not littering not that anyone has but my MD has asked to get this message across. Not trying to spoil anyones fun,
Thanks,
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back