• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (3 Viewers)

the 'central valley' on The Works site is starting to look good - The GWT Environment Resource Centre has recorded a good variety of birds down there.
I'm currently working down by the former hot mill site a couple o days of the week so get to see small flocks of 15-20 goldfinch (can get to within 10m of them), kestrel, sparrow hawks (mainly down the bottom end of the central valley, nearer the trees)- need to keep an eye out for more...

given that I am currently in Gwent and nobodies posted anything here for over a month I thought i'd better post.

The only birding I've done is at Steves garden where on one visit I saw 7 Redpolls, a few siskin plus your usual garden stuff. Second visit today produced more flyover redpolls plus a treecreeper which appeared after I'd taken the net down and a Goldcrest that sadly went in the net but then got straight back out! nearly 60 birds ringed in two visits. Caught several today which I got in Novemer 2010 including a long tailed tit.

I was beginning to fear that Gwent no longer existed;)

Nice to hear from you Luke - have a great New Year.

D

7+ Short eared Owl at Waunafon acording to gwentbirds. New I should have gone up when i was in Gwent last week. Shame the weather was utter crap most days.

Will have to get up to Waunafon once this wind/rain dies down a bit.
Had great views of a female Goshawk harrassing the large Woodpigeon flock down at Portskewett from Kens feeding station hide.She made three or four passes through the wood but didnt catch anything that I could see.
Brambling have been very few down at SV this year and only had one up above the feeders today.The pale Buzzard is still around down there and it really is touch and go as to whether it could be a Rough Leg.Definitely a pale tail with a dark end band.It favours the area of Beeches at the top end of the reserve near Carn Y Cefn
St James` res yesterday morning had a pair of Goosander and a Grey Heron but very little else apart from good numbers of calling Crossbill on the way down.
The Carno and Garnlydan reservoirs have been very quiet this year with just some Mallard on the former and nothing unusual on the latter.

My only highlight over the Christmas and New Year break was this Sparrowhawk that,after five years of waiting,actually landed at my feeding station down SV!

Attachments

• spar.jpg
    spar.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 73
A female Goshawk has been having a go at the Ebbw Vale Jackdaw roost for the past few days.Saw her today make several stoops from above them at 3pm.Keep an eye out folks late afternoon when they flock up and you should spot her.Just look for something twice the size!

Saw a barn owl last night fly between the cemetery and morrisons...twas abt 2.30am.

Small flock of crossbills the other day up the carno.

Garden is up n down atm...today 3male & 3female bullies all together, dozen or so goldies, 1m greenfinch, 4 redpolls, couple of siskins and the usual tits,chaffinch, robin, dunnocks etc.

BB Parc has a number of Goosanders over there atm...I saw 6 males 2 females this morning...1 great crested grebe, 2 swans and lots of Tufted Duck, Pochard, Mallards, Canadian Geese and gulls.

Green Woodpecker flew out the back a few days ago.

Jan 2nd Rhyd-y-blew site - Stonechat -will try and post pic; 4 snipe; resident heron
Sat 7th Red Kite flying over Old Rassau heading towards Carno
Sun 8th - Garlydan Res - 14-15 lapwing on headland; by lower pond - 40+ Fieldfare - I think!-slightly larger than blackbird, greyish & brown in colour -observed from cattle grid by road
Sun 15th - pond to below/east of Garnlydan Res -what looks familiarly like 7-8 Goosander -observed from cattle grid by road

Last edited:
Anyone know if there's any gulls roosting at Garnlydan at present?? If so it probably really worth a look for any white winged gulls!

Anyone know if there's any gulls roosting at Garnlydan at present?? If so it probably really worth a look for any white winged gulls!

Very few Luke to be honest mate.I have been doing the Goosander survey up there this Winter and have just had the odd few BH Gulls.

i've got an allotment plot behind the firestation - so often see a flock above and east of there- is that the same roost? (i use the term' a malevolance of jackdaws' as they're always up to no good)

slightly out of county, on Sunday on Mynydd Llangynidr, flushed out three Red Grouse - one scared the hell out of me as it took off about 5ft in front of me!

Just returned from Chester.Managed a day in Burton Mere. Got female hen and marsh harrier, with 300-400 lapwing. Mostly teal, black tailed godwit, greenshank, redshank and shoveler. Recommend this RSPB site, with new cosy visitor centre and proper hides. (no cafe though)

No mention of the current MAGA which has taken up residence in the lovely county of Gwent. Stuck an awful picture on my blog. Will post some other pictures from this weekend over next few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back