• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gumbet, Turkey (1 Viewer)

Mangrove Pitta

Is anyone out there familiar with Gumbet, Turkey??

I must go there in may with the girlfriend and parents in law. B :)

any chance of seeing Krupers Nuthatch there??

Where is exactly is Gumbet? If it is anywhere in the area of Antalija, you stand a good chance of some excellent birds, including Kruper's, if you head into the hills just a few kilometres inland. Leave them basking on the beach and take off for the day.

Mangrove Pitta said:
Is anyone out there familiar with Gumbet, Turkey??

I must go there in may with the girlfriend and parents in law. B :)

any chance of seeing Krupers Nuthatch there??

I stayed at the smaller resort next to Gumbet four years ago. I don't think you could have picked a worse Turkish resort than Gumbet if you want to see birds. Still, if you are prepared to travel a few miles away from Gumbet there is always the chance of seeing something. I hope you are not going in July or August though. Roger

devon.birder said:
I stayed at the smaller resort next to Gumbet four years ago. I don't think you could have picked a worse Turkish resort than Gumbet if you want to see birds. Still, if you are prepared to travel a few miles away from Gumbet there is always the chance of seeing something. I hope you are not going in July or August though. Roger

so it's my worsed nightmare soming true he??
mmmmm

perhaps a few raptors overhead while w're basking on the beach then.

I wouldn't be too demoralised - although it might not be one of the better sites in Turkey I expect you will find that there is reasonable birding nearby - it depends how much birding you have done in Eastern Europe.

May can be very good for passage raptors - it certainly is further south around Dalyan where the like of Honey Buzzard and Red-footed Falcon can pass through in numbers, and nearby Lesbos still has good birds at that time so expect some migration..

Any wetland nearby will be worth watching, and you are not far from Bafa Golu which I visited in May some years ago ( as earch on this Forum will show you details) and it was outstanding. There used to be wetlands site at "Gulluk" and "Kusla" which aren't far from Gumbet- but at least one might be developed now.

Mugla (a couple of hours away) has White-throated Robin, and Ephesus is good for Wheatears (including Finsch's from memory). Kruper's are more widespread than most guides suggest so any decent Pine woodland will be worth checking out - learn the calls before you go!

You might need a car to get around though but I think South-west Turkey is a pretty good family birding holiday destination.

Mangrove Pitta said:
so it's my worsed nightmare soming true he??
mmmmm

perhaps a few raptors overhead while w're basking on the beach then.

That's what I like, an optimist. The local bus service is very good though and you can get to Bodrun in about 15 minutes or so, always a few gulls around the harbour. We stayed at Bitez a few miles further on from Gumbet, that was a much quieter and smaller resort that Gumbet but we did not see many birds around the resort. Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back