• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls behaving like Swallows (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Hi -

This was new to me: there was a large hatch of winged ants yesterday in the warm still air, and at my local harbour a large number of mostly Blackheaded Gulls were wheeling and dodging to catch them in flight. Quite a sight. There were a few Common Gull and even a couple of Kittiwake mixed in, but these weren't quite as skilful, just flying straight and snapping left and right.

I imagine that the relatively large body size and clumsy flight of the ants is what made them worthwhile to chase. I haven't seen gulls take any other insect on the wing.

Happens regularly here every summer, but usually quite a bit later on (August), when ants swarm. The sheer density of food makes it worthwhile; mostly Black-heads but Herring and LBB do so a bit too.

Happens regularly here in London, too. Massive emergence of flying ants last Saturday during this long spate of very warm weather. A friend described them as "ant fumeroles".

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back