• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID help - Southern Oregon, US coast 28 Aug (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
Hi, hoping someone can help. Am thinking this is a California Gull, but I’m not very familiar with gulls.
67F98943-6ED8-4D47-AC70-1F6A14FCADF5.jpeg

As always thanks for any assistance.

Not California, which would have yellowish legs and dark wingtips.

Wingtips make me think Glaucous-winged or some hybrid with a Glaucous-winged

starting 3rd cycle (3cy) Western or Olympic Gull. careful, immature Californias can have pinkish legs. but they also should show a variable amount of black to bill and structure of bill/head/body is wrong for this species here. if it wasn't for the soft and relatively plain "grizzle" on its head I#d have accepted it as a Western Gull, but probably this head markings indivate some Glaucous-winged influence, thus I suggested Olympic Gull (L. occidentalis x glaucescens). Way too black wingtips for pure Glaucous-winged.

Thank you both for responding. I had never heard of an Olympic Gull, the hybridization among gulls continues to amaze me.

Olympic Gull actually is the most established/numerous hybrid of the world among large gull species. In Oregon and Puget Sound the vast majority of breeding large Gulls are Olympics :).

Olympic Gull actually is the most established/numerous hybrid of the world among large gull species. In Oregon and Puget Sound the vast majority of breeding large Gulls are Olympics :).
Thanks for this info. I wonder if they will ever make it a separate species?

no, unfortunately hybrids are not counted. but it might well be a pure Western Gull.
no separate species, such populations are sometimes referred to as "hybrid swarms".

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back