• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s UK Birding List 2022 (1 Viewer)

Cracking day out yesterday. Picked Rob up at 7 from Cardiff and then travelled to the FOD to meet Carol and Steve. Great company.

Carol got on to a low flying Goshawk whilst Steve picked out a calling Lesser-spotted Woodpecker. We later heard it drumming. Good number of Treecreepers around as well. I’ve said it before, but you’ve picked a cracking spot to move to Carol(y)

From here Rob and I said our farewells and headed over onto New Fancy Viewpoint. I’d love to say it was superior fieldcraft but the reality is I took a couple of wrong turns! :DAnd where we turned around, we picked up 3 further Goshawks.

At NFP we didn’t stay long. Rob picked up a Common Lizard and Crossbills were showing well in the trees.

Decided to work our way back to Wales stopping at Cannop Ponds. A Marsh Tit appeared immediately on the feeders there and Mandarin were on the lower pond with a Goosander. Forgot to say we did walk around Crabtree Hill but nothing of note there.

At Goldcliff it was pretty quiet. Did some birding with an Essex fella who was down to watch the Ipswich v Cardiff women’s football. A good view of 2 Spoonbills though that actually weren’t sleeping. And year ticked Ringed Plover.

Now down to Cardiff Bay. Stopped at the little patch of wasteland and sure enough, 2 Black Redstarts were immediately picked out by Rob. The male looking particularly smart. Next we headed round the bay to the Penarth side. Picked out the first Sand Martin of the year but the gulls were very distant. I can honestly say I would not have been able to pick out the Bonaparte’s if it wasn’t for Phil who was also there.

So a great end to a great day.

137. LSW (heard)(+)
138. Goshawk (+)
139. Marsh Tit
140. Ringed Plover
141. Black Redstart (+)
143. Bonaparte’s Gull
144. Sand Martin

Last edited:
Cheers Owen. Agree about the Redstarts. Stunners. Good luck with the Gull. Hopefully it’ll turn up at Cosmeston again.
Cheers Owen. Agree about the Redstarts. Stunners. Good luck with the Gull. Hopefully it’ll turn up at Cosmeston again.

Rich
Thanks

I’ve only really been looking in as much as I’ll stop and scan on the way home from work. The bay is only 5 minutes walk from home so I can pop down without any real effort.

They are cool gulls though

Felt like I neglected the hound a little yesterday by not taking him to the FOD. So in the car he jumped, and down to Kenfig Pool we headed.

Must say he was impeccably well behaved in the hide. A few more Goldeneye were present on the pool along with out target bird - though always distant.

145. Red-crested Pochard (+)

Attachments

• 6C2B2DFD-4CF7-48FA-BBBC-000E90ECCB0A.jpeg
    6C2B2DFD-4CF7-48FA-BBBC-000E90ECCB0A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • D60DB853-21CB-42FA-A057-E1A36BFC9D7E.jpeg
    D60DB853-21CB-42FA-A057-E1A36BFC9D7E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Good to do some birding close to home over the last few days. Making the most of the stunning weather.

Dipped on the Garganey at Kenfig on Saturday but enjoyed watching the Golden Plovers at Sker. Many in almost breeding plumage.

A local Goshawk was a highlight on Sunday. Walking over to my parents along the canal I saw a Cettis and heard a couple more. 6 Goosander as well.

ChiffChaff have arrived by the house now. Heard a Green Woodpecker yaffling away this morning and there were also 2 Buzzards mating on a pylon. Can’t say I’ve ever seen that before. A Sparrowhawk was taking advantage of the thermals as well.

In the garden the Wren has tidied up its nest in the shed, and the Coal Tits are busy building a nest in the old overflow outlet on the house. Had a year tick whilst walking the boy up the lane. My first singing Blackcap of the year. Shouldn’t be too long before the Willow Warblers arrive.

146. Blackcap

Last edited:
Had a walk along the Neath canal today. Pretty much full of rubbish until you get to the Square Pond. Not good.

Best birds were Cettis, Blackcaps, ChiffChaffs, 7 Goosander and a pair of Stonechat. 1st Willow Warbler of the year as well by the the old Metal Box cricket pitch.

146. Willow Warbler

Attachments

• D3FA044A-5091-49A7-A6B8-567C8C312668.jpeg
    D3FA044A-5091-49A7-A6B8-567C8C312668.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
Just got very lucky. Right place at the right time. Not a particularly rare bird but the first I’ve seen locally.

Max and I put his trailcam on a prominent badger track yesterday. In a field by the house. Went to check it this morning and up in the tree next to us was a male Pied Flycatcher. Happy days.

148. Pied Flycatcher

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back