• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greenshanks, Hong Kong, April 2017 (1 Viewer)

PJSharp

Dear all,

Please see attached two photos of Greenshanks taken at Mai Po in Hong Kong on the 11 April. On the day I identified all of the Greenshanks as Common Greenshanks. However, other birders picked out Nordmann's Greenshank on the same pools that day, so I have looked back at my photos.

The first image I was obviously aiming for the Greenshanks, these are much more in summer plumage than I am used to, and I was struck by the two tone nature of their bills. But, the bills are too pointed and if nothing else the white-marked tertials rule out Nordmann's.

The second image I was aiming at the Great Knots, so the picture of the Greenshank is much less than ideal. The bill looks broader than in the first image and perhaps more yellow - could be an artifact of the image? Also I can't see any white on the tertials (maybe I just can't see them well enough?). In any event of all the Greenshanks I incidentally photographed this is the mostly likely candidate for Nordmann's - what do you think?

I'm not convinced I have to admit, but am interested if there is anything else I should pick out on this bird to ID it one way or another.

Best wishes, Paul

Attachments

• gshank1.jpg
    gshank1.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 92
  • gtknotand1b.jpg
    gtknotand1b.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 93
I agree with Common for all of these.
Nordmann's do often associate with Great Knot, and I wouldn't want to rule this out for the bird at the back of photo 2 - but I suspect this is also Common.

I did see Nordmann's that day, but only 3 birds compared to 300 Common.

Alino, Andy, John,

Thank you all for your comments. I have only seen Nordmann's once before in Thailand, and those birds were very distinctive in winter plumage. I was worried I had somehow missed/miss-identified Nordmann's at Mai Po amongst the birds I identified as Common Greenshank, and it is reassuring to know that whilst I missed the birds, I didn't obviously miss-identify any as Common Greenshanks.

Best wishes, Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back