• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2022 - Joint Thread (3 Viewers)

I managed two short bike rides in the last two days (the weather was great today...), with Caspian Gull new for the world list today.

Just use the names you are comfortable with in the Europe tab... it is supposed to be fun! For the composite lists someone will surely come in and correct them if that is felt necessary.

Today I added two regular residents to the roads and fields that surround my town: Zitting cisticola and Rock sparrow

Step by Step

We had an outing on our Green transport today and were lucky to see the Stone curlews which hang around here.

Attachments

• IMG_20220107_123026.jpg
    IMG_20220107_123026.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Four of my additions (I was going to write sightings, but realised that would be wrong!) for Jan 1st on this thread were heard only. (Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Goldcrest and Blackcap). It was a bit blustery and having overslept I wasn't hanging around!

Last edited:
January 2nd
(Home)
55 Collared Dove
So to update my UK Green list -

1st January
56 Tufted Duck and 57 Great Tit - both omitted from my list by mistake (but that's the beauty of other people posting their birds that you can notice such things!)

4th January
58 Teal whilst on a run down to the local reservoir

5th January
59 Bullfinch whilst out on a local run

7th January
60 (Common) Snipe
61 Stonechat

Again down at the local reservoir. Also possible Siberian Chiffchaff, but don't think they are a full species per IOC/BOU? Anyway, Snipe only addition to the World list I believe ...

I count hearing for the year list.
Unfortunately the bird that was hanging around in my neighbourhood is quiet at the moment: I was hoping to be the first one with Eagle Owl!
It was total luck. I stepped outside last night to look at the stars, and heard the owl. You will probably beat me to something else!

Alpine Accentor feeding around the house today, I also went for a good walk in the snow but as is often the case, the forest was very quiet.

A 50 mile cycle ride to get to some gravel quarries near the Rhine today. The first hour was a bit iffy on icy roads, the last hour was uncomfortable in (not too bad) rain.
50 Smew were probably the highest count I have managed in the area.

Today, the morning has risen bright and I have enjoyed walking 10 km around the Mediterranean forest area of my town.

I have been able to add 8 new birds to my 2022 green list, and 2 of them add to the European and World lists: Cirl bunting and Western marsh harrier.

Update: I also add the Red-legged partridge to the common lists

Cheers

Last edited:
A frustrating glimpse of what looked like an owl flushed from the ground but just couldn’t get enough on it.

30. Cormorant flying upriver and over our garden

A frustrating glimpse of what looked like an owl flushed from the ground but just couldn’t get enough on it.

30. Cormorant flying upriver and over our garden
I've copied your lists to the spreadsheet - looks like UK list is on 68 now. (I haven't checked whether there are any additions to the World list).

Hopefully something that can be got in the area again if indeed it was?!

Thanks Dan

flushed from a little used path on a very steep slope in a conifer plantation about five years old - it dropped a large downy feather - which might have helped but the wind took it down slope and out of sight. If I had to put money on it I would guess L.E.O. but with no local records I’d need much better views. I’ll definitely go back in a week or so.

Cheers,

Phil

Neither weather nor legs were conducive for a long bike ride, but locally I finally managed Little Grebe (Moorhen still hiding).

Much nicer weather today (of course...), with a quick dash to the local lake providing that longed for Moorhen.
Next curious omission: Hawfinch.

Have had a quick browse through previous posts and haven't spotted it yet - Grey Partridge on January 2nd on my local walk. I see them regularly along with Yellowhammers and Linnets, etc., but they're already on the list from other countries

Have had a quick browse through previous posts and haven't spotted it yet - Grey Partridge on January 2nd on my local walk. I see them regularly along with Yellowhammers and Linnets, etc., but they're already on the list from other countries
A long time since I've seen one of those Adey. A scruffy sub adult Golden Eagle circling over the house this afternoon is a new one, I should have seen/heard Wren by now but perhaps they're all buried under the snow!

Finally it’s stopped raining here -

Red kite
point blank encounter with male Bullfinch
Red Crossbill

quite the red letter day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back