• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grassland winter birds (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Liz and I are heading to the LRGV in December. Among other bird species we missed on our first visit, we are targeting Mountain Plover, Sprague's Pipit and LeConte's Sparrow. I am using eBird as my main source of information but I'm wondering if the locations that these species can be found fluctuate from year to year with changes in agricultural use. Are there any specific grassland fields that are relatively constantly attractive in the winter season to these species that we should concentrate on?

Steve

I don't know that the Sprague's is a given any where in the LRGV. As for Mountain Plovers, check NARBA (Texas) & eBird for sightings. There is a farm area where they are usually seen, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the road. Usually people start posting as soon as they are seen. I don't know if LeContes get down to the valley. That is not a sparrow I ever look for down there.

When I was in Texas in December and January a couple of years ago, I saw Le Conte's at Anahuac but obviously that's not too near the LRGV. I think it's a good site for them though - they seem to be commoner in the Houston area. I lucked into a Sprague's Pipit at Laguna Atascosa, by the side of the main track. I didn't see Mountain Plover, as there didn't seem to be any getting reported that winter.

We do plan on visiting Atacosa at least one full day, Andrew. Unfortunately, Bayside Drive, the circular route that covers much of the NWR, is now closed for several years. (They are improving the road system for wildlife protection since young ocelots were recently photographed by trail cameras.) By the "main track", do you mean the entrance road or Bayside Drive?
Also, the nearby fields of Willacy County have had reports of Sprague's Pipits as well as Mountain Plovers. It is such a large area, I am hoping to condense our search process. The south tip of Texas is possibly too far for dependable LeConte's. We may try locations nearer to San Antonio while trying to find a Harris's Sparrow. However, the Mountain Plovers are supposedly regular, just tough to find. They're only 9 inches long and they blend so very well!
Thanks -

Steve

The Mountain Plovers are there every winter. They do blend in a field though! I got my lifers in Williamson county and I kept looking & looking. Finally there was a movement & all the sudden I saw them all over! The Sprague's are winter migrants, so we all hope for those!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back