• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (17 Viewers)

Grafham 22 Jan 2023; a Smew (redhead), two Drake Scaup (still) and two Bewick's Swans (still) worthy of posting in a very slow 2023 so far. Three Dunlin remaining with a small flock of Redshanks.

Grafham 5 March 2023; a couple of hours watching the regular Caspian Gull at Valley Creek feeding on a fish finally allowed some close-ups photos. How pure Caspian this one is might be debatable though. The best feature to pick it out from the many Herring gulls currently is a distinctive laughing call. AU0I3385c1 | Matthew Rodgers | Flickr
Also 2 Scaup and 4 Common Scoter.

Caspian Gull call | Flickr brief noisy clip here!

AU0I3385c1.JPG

Last edited:
Grafham 12 March 2023; another new American duck.........
A rapid twitch from Marlow to Plummer early morning had the American Wood Duck on my Grafham list!

Always a controversial species as almost certainly a European bird from captive or feral origin, but then again anything is possible at Grafham it seems, shearwater from South Atlantic and a gull from Africa (or further) both found their way here!

The bird appeared to be a young female and was attracted to the groups of Mallard around Gaynes Creek until disappearing late morning when there were a lot of fisherman appearing around the shoreline.
AU0I4070c1.JPG

A few more shots here:

AU0I4122c1 | Matthew Rodgers | Flickr

Grafham 1 April 2023; 15 Kittiwakes resting up for most of the day as part of a national inland movement. Difficult to count due to the associating Common Gulls.
AU0I5389c1.JPG

Grafham 10 Apr 2023: Little Gull early morning in the rain; 8 Yellow Wagtails, 1 White Wagtail and 1 Grey Wagtail on the dam in the evening. No sign of the Blue-headed/Yellow Wagtail (hybrid) today.

Grafham 12 Apr 2023: 12+ Yellow Wagtails, one White Wagtail and a 'Channel' type hybrid bird again on the dam. Also an Immature bird showing similar grey head but much less advanced than the adult. The adult may be a different bird to the one seen on 9 April. The lighting is very tricky in the evenings and the birds are continuously moving. Also a Dunlin.

AU0I6397c1.JPGAU0I6442c1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back