• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GoSky 20-60x60 SpottingScope abd camera attachment via M42. (2 Viewers)

Coupe

United Kingdom
Has anyone connected a camera to the eyepiece to this scope. I can probably get a generic T mount but there is a thread between the eyepiece and the body which I assume with the right adapter can screw onto. I also have an Opticron Might Midget and can easily screw on a M42 mount but the diameter of the eyepiece (44mm) on the GoSky is too wide.

Thanks

The old Miranda camera bayonet is 44mm screw fit or bayonet fit.
It was used for scientific photography.
But I doubt that one can easily accommodate an eyepiece 44mm wide.

There are wider medium format camera adapters.

Regards,
B.

SRB Griturn make or have all sorts of adapters.

I think it was the Hassleblad 1600F and Kiev copies that used large screw thread lenses.

B.

Miranda extension tubes are I think 44mm screw fit.

Hasselblad 1600F, Kiev 80/Salyut S and Kiev 88 extension tubes may be 60mm screw fit.

Regards,
B.

The Nikon Z mount has, I think, an internal diameter of 55mm.

The Canon EF and RF 54mm.

The Leica ~51.6mm.

The Sony mount is smaller.

So extension tubes of the larger mounts should easily be able to contain a 44mm wide eyepiece.

Regards,
B.

I think that I got confused by the Heading and post #1 by the mention of M42.

T2 and M42 threads are not the same.

What camera is being used?

Is eyepiece projection wanted or the use of the scope body without the eyepiece?

Does the eyepiece unscrew?

Regards,
B.

A T mount does I think exist.

I saw a note that someone has 50 different T mounts and has never seen one without the separate inner threaded ring.

But I think that some of the MTO 1000/1100 mirror lenses attached without the inner ring.
So just a T mount.
This allowed a larger rear lens design.

The T2 mount is 42mm thread but 0.75mm pitch on the separate inner ring held on by three grub screws.
The orientation of the camera can be changed by loosening the grub screws and rotating the inner ring then tightening the grub screws.
This was used on lenses that just used this mount for different cameras with the T2 adapter.

I think the T2 mount originated with Tamron.

There are T4 and TX mounts, which are more complex.
I think that these were by Tokina and licensed to Vivitar, Soligor? etc.

Sigma had a different adapter, the YS adapter.
Another 42mm thread variant, I think.
I had a very interesting Sigma lens that may have used this mount.
It focussed very close by rotating the front element, in addition to the normal focus.
200mm f/3.5 IS Scalematic lens.

M42 is a 42mm screw thread originally by Praktica, then used by Asahi Pentax for their lens to camera body attachment.
This had a 1mm thread pitch, not the 0.75mm pitch of the T2 mount, which may also have a different thread profile.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Sorry should have explained better. The camera is n EOS RP bottom of the canon mirror range but I find good and light and I have a M42 lens adapter. The scope is a Gosky 20-60x60 scope which I picked up cheap off fleabay. I'm just seeing what the quality is like and if I want to pursue the hobby (mainly wildlife watching). I will look to a better scope if I continue.
I also have a Opticron Mighty Midget which is easy to attach to the camera via a M42 mount as the screw on the exterior of the body where the eyepiece fits is M42 so I use a M42 adapter.
But the screw thread on the Gosky is slightly larger (guessing as it's just slightly bigger, possibly 44) but I was wondering if anyone had details of this screw thread. Tried contacting Gosky but no reply.
Aware it's not just the size but type of thread that is required.
Thanks

If you buy a "M42" from the far east it will likely be a M42x0.75 aka T/T2. This is the same as a 42mm lens filter thread.
If you buy a "M42" from Europe particularly Germany or eastwards it vill be a M42x1.0 (originated with Zeiss)
The Pentax Screw (PS) is also M42x1. The "M" in the name refers to an ISO-Metric screw thread.
Just to be confusing, Tokina came up with a "U" (universal?) marked lens thread which will fit either M42x1 or M42x0.75 adapters. Relieved height and or intermediate pitch? (too shallow to get my thread gauge onto it)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back