• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good car hire in Sri Lanka? (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Does anybody have a good experience with a rental company in Colombo, preferably one that delivers to the airport and handles the international permit validation in advance for you? Small car, without driver.

Rentacars show only some outlets that have an amuzing "unsatisfactory" rating. I tried Hertz downtown - no online offers, Sixt at the airport has normal small cars sold out, only an expensive and pointlessly large hybrid.

So maybe some local companies are good? All suggestions welcome!

Baurs used to be a company which all birders took few years ago. They normally rent you a driver who is also a guide but might help.

Make sure you can handle traffic in Sri Lanka - in India I just gave up, and said - it is too dangerous unless you grew up watching for 10 bikes, 10 rickhaws, 20 cows, 10 people, 10 cars and 10 lorries moving in random directions at the same time. But Sri Lanka is a good and pleasant country to visit.

Baurs used to be a company which all birders took few years ago. They normally rent you a driver who is also a guide but might help.

Make sure you can handle traffic in Sri Lanka - in India I just gave up, and said - it is too dangerous unless you grew up watching for 10 bikes, 10 rickhaws, 20 cows, 10 people, 10 cars and 10 lorries moving in random directions at the same time. But Sri Lanka is a good and pleasant country to visit.
Agree, I used Baurs and one of their driver guides, we saw eveything apart from the two owls, he was very good.

Can you point me to a website or something? I can't really find it, google gives some company in manufacturing in that name and some relicts of a bird tour agency, but the website doesn't seem to work...

Anyway, you know me, I am not renting a car with a driver, but if they could provide just a rental, that would be nice.

I think this is the company, don't seen to have a website.

It doesn't seem that the company recommended would rent driverless cars, so I didn't even bother them in the end. I contacted a bunch of car rent companies, they are generally sold out on anything reasonable due to some local holidays. Probably a terrible time for a last minute trip to Sri Lanka.

So we go to Thailand instead :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back