• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goa 2014/15 (1 Viewer)

Jeanie

Jeanie with one n.
Am managing to escape grandchildren watching and going to Goa on the first of November staying at the MD in Arpora for 3 weeks.. Much shorter than our many 10 week hols but a lot better than nothing. Will be using Rama (Raymond) as our guide. If we get any different species I will post here. Only been once before in November. It was very hot and rained but we did get an Eurasian Cuckoo.

If any one wants to use this as a place to post for this season feel free.
Jeanie

First week finished. Great birding and butterflies. Very green, had our second eurasian cuckoo in 17 years of coming here. Bonddla majic and even Apora foresr splendid. Will definitely be back in November.

Hi Jeanie

That would be a tick on my Goa list. Any other details you can give about your sightings would be great as a group of us are heading out soon.

Thanks.

Have spent a couple of nights in Patnem which is the beach below Pallolem in far south of Goa.Went to Cotigao reserve. Best area in Goa to bird watch.From great indian hornbills to ashy swallows and marsh harriers with silver wings,its stunning. Spent this morning at Apora forest and had a hoopoe, bar winged flycatcher shrike and loads of other lovelies. Am writing this on tablet so not easy.More when I am home.

Hi Jeanie, watching this thread with interest,
flying to Goa on Monday and staying in Palolem,
any tips for the local area appreciated!

Hi Tony, obviously Cotigao is a must. It is huge and if you can find a guide, that would be best. There is a road which runs parallel to the railway line between Pallolem and patnem this is a quiet road which goes from a crossroads called char rusta to ràjabag.It is a wonderful birding area. Also,you can walk into rajbag and at the top end is a river, you can walk through the large hotel grounds to the sea.We have had some good birds on the golf course of this hotel.

I am attempting to add a photo of a falcon seen on this trip. Some people said it was an Amur and others that it was a Lagger.

Attachments

• falcon in Goa.jpg
    falcon in Goa.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
There were a pair of birds, one female and the other probably a juv. Any thoughts gratefully received.
The bird flying in was not one of the pair.

Attachments

• falcon in Goa x2.jpg
    falcon in Goa x2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Brief resume on my trip. It had been 6 years since we had been to India on a charter and stayed at the MD. We are more used to flying schedule and renting an apartment. It was great not having to change airports. The biggest change at the M. D. was the fact that they now have Russian guests. It seemed rather noisier than we remember but still a great place to go.
We met another bird watcher called Russell who had found somewhere different to bird watch in the area.
From Apora, walk on the Mapusa road, there is now a pavement, towards St. Josephs school. You pass the Las Viegas supermarket. Once you get to the school take the road on the left just before the school. It goes to the hotel called something like Niligia. This walk is in a well wooded area. There are 2 quarries. We went twice, we had Tree Pie, Black lored tits and various other great birds. On our second trip we had a close view of a Crested Serpent Eagle. Have thoroughly enjoyed going to Goa in November and hope to go again soon.

Many thanks for your input. Here is another small raptor we are not sure about, one person said kestrel but another thought young red-footed, seen at small Vagator, another great area to birdwatch, we climb the hill above the cliffs. Have just checked re the new birding area and the hotel is called Nilaya. It is set in the forest. If you google map it , it looks as if there is no road to it but there is.

Attachments

• small raptor in goa.jpg
    small raptor in goa.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your comments. As you know we did not have our bird guide, Raymond, for the last 2 weeks of our trip since he was working for Sunbirders. It confirmed our knowledge that in spite of birding in India , nearly every year, since 1998 we are quite rubbish at raptors and a lot else as well!
Your photos are wonderful. We used to spend a couple of days in Dandeli every trip going on the Hampi train. However, the train was often late on return and having spent 6 hrs at the railway station made us change our mind. Must do it by road the next time we manage a trip. Lovely place.

I wonder if this would be accessible from the Arpora wood area?

I looked at this place on a map before my last trip but never got around to trying to find it.

Looks also like an interesting more open area further in.

I am with two other this trip so I hope I get the chance as it can be challenging trying to get some to accept finding a place....I tend to get waylaid quite easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back