• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Global Warming, Drought or Opportunism. (1 Viewer)

chris_rex

Scene: Melbourne southern suburbs 2020.

Back in the second half of last century, 1960s and 70s to be more precise, planting of Australian native trees became fashionable. Of course many of the eucalypts in backyards are now huge. In addition councils have continued to plant smaller species of flowering eucalypts and corymbias.

Within 20 years, say 1980, Melbourne I first noticed Rainbow lorikeeets, but the number has exploded. Theres no doubt the vast number of suitable flowering species have attracted birds into the suburbs. Soon it became possible to see Scaly breasted and Little lorikeets as well.

So I think that the now vast number of these Lorikeets now present in Melbourne is a result of opportunism.

Now a more recent adaptee the Corella is a bird I had not noticed here in such numbers until more recently, and it seemed to occur after the drought early this century. There are very large numbers in the Braeside park area now. I suspect this adaption to new habitat in a suburban setting is due to drought. I am not sure if they are common in other areas, but in this area there is a green wedge . Corellas, however can even find food in your nature strip.

I know there will be folk in this community who have much more knowledge in this area. I would be very interested to share in your ideas and or facts around this subject.

I'm not going to touch global warming, but as you will know the country is a place of droughts and flooding rains. As such there has always been a certain ebb and flow to the movement of various species depending on conditions. Unfortunately lots of the country that was once cared for intensely, has been exploited and hence degraded since certain arrivals to the land.

This is due mainly to draining of the land and removal of attendant vegetation cover, leading to loss of wetlands of all types, dried, degraded, and eroded soil, and raised temperatures, and reduced moisture. The science on this is only emerging, but the extension projects and pilot programmes have been around for decades now. Check out the "Natural Sequence Farming" thread in the Conservation forum for more info. https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342128

Many amazing things happen in this country, and many more can be dreamt. I have seen Brolgas far from home - just to feed for a few hours in a loungeroom sized puddle formed from once in a decade rains. I have seen flowering plants in my garden from Western Australia that had no right to survive in the Eastern States, flower their heads off nearly all year round. I also have a rainforest tree a long way from home in my yard, a Queensland Firewheel Tree ( Stenocarpus sinuatus ) which up to 2 dozen Rainbow Lorikeets go absolutely ballistic in !

So yes, I think there is a fair bit of opportunism that goes on. As far as Corellas go, I know them of woodland (or ex-woodland), plains transitional type areas - so basically many now urban/suburban areas as well. Apart from something to eat and somewhere to get water, shelter would be high on their agenda - if there are hollow bearing trees around they should be happy. Don't forget - the history of the area stretches back hundreds and hundreds of thousands of years ;) Perhaps it would be helpful to think of it not so much as a recent adaptation or opportunism, but rather something like a return ...... or seeking refuge in the face of further degradation .....

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back