• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geography Quiz - Identify these countries. (1 Viewer)

here is a good question

What is the name of that little peice of geography that looks like a lake that is in the middle of South Africa?
Using an Atlas is cheating.

Hi Charles,
Re: question 1.
I agree that if there bear only walks half way into the woods then the rest of the way he is walking out, but if he only walks half of the way in to the woods (and therefore only a quarter of the overall distance) he has as far again to walk before he is walking out.......confused meself now......

I think somebody already did that with Achilles and a turtle.. Hey, there's a couple of good ones in there, thanks! Any more? I really use these things to teach with.

Tell us quick, will you, Rile? I've already exhausted my intellect. I know it's one of those 'homelands', but there are several, aren't there? Basutoland? Swaziland?

Actually, Charles, it's Lesotho, which I think used to be called Basutoland.

Interesting (?) Lesotho factoid - it is the country with the world's highest lowest point.

Anyone care to guess the country with the world's lowest highest point?

Holland? (Or what ever you are supposed to call it now - European geography confuses me. Haven't got the hang of all the changes Napoleon made yet.)

No, it will be an island nation, probably somewhere in the Pacific. Some of the coral cays are only knee-high to a grasshopper.

A frog is 5 foot from a pond. How many hops to reach the pond?.
Its first hop is 2' 6", its second hop is 1' 3", each hop is half the distance of the previous hop?

Zeno's Paradox...

Also, to walk a mile, first you have to walk half a mile, then quarter of a mile etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
I've just googled, and the highest point in Holland is 321 metres, which surprised me. So it hasn't even got the lowest high point in Europe, which might be Denmark with a high point of 171 metres.

Tannin... if you think about it, Mt Everest is only 5 or so miles high - Switz. is a lot wider than high!

:t:

birdman said:
Actually, Charles, it's Lesotho, which I think used to be called Basutoland.

Interesting (?) Lesotho factoid - it is the country with the world's highest lowest point.

Anyone care to guess the country with the world's lowest highest point?

The Maldive Islands, 6 feet or thereabouts.

There was a debate at the UN General Assembly a few years ago, discussing the possible effects of global warming, and various rich western nations wanted to quietly drop the debate. The Maldives Ambassador then famously put the question, "Is the United Nations going to stand by and do nothing when one of its member nations is wiped off the face of the Earth?"

Well, I guess the answer, sadly, is "yes".

Michael

hmmm, just checked on Google and found a site that states Bangladesh's highest point is over 1000 ft, though the country is predominantly flat and low, average 4ft above sea level.

I guess tha Maldives win by a tidal wave!

Michael Frankis, are you a living Encyclopedia? You came up with four correct answers within one minute of Birdman posting the questions; that is according to the times recorded on my computer, which is set on 10 hours ahead of GMT (now actually 9 hours because of your summer time). No wonder Charles Hooper got a headache even thinking about such things at 6.30am in Japan.
I can never do any of the quizzes because by the time I get a bit of spare time to graze around on the Forum they have all been completed. That's my excuse anyway. I knew the answers to Denmark and Turkey but about 6 days too late.

Nancy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back