• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

General South Africa RFI (1 Viewer)

randyy

I'll be in Capetown from May 26-30, before heading to Nairobi on a Dragoman tour. Does anyone have any recommendations for me - places to visit, places to stay, places to eat? Should I hire a guide, or just hire a car and self-drive? I would like to get on a pelagic as well.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Randy Yuen
Colorado USA

I was out in Cape Town a few months back and used a guide called Frank from 'Cape Sugarbird Tours' - didn't cost a great deal for a good days birding! Unfortunately, I can't find any contact deatils for him at the moment. If you go to the Tourist Information Office in Cape Town, they had tour leaflets there.
Also have a look at www.birdwatch.co.za - another site for tours based around The Cape.

If you decide to go it alone, Rondevlei Nature Reserve was superb and teeming with birds. Good for herons, egrets and ibis etc but watch out for the hippos!
Also Strandfontein Water Treatment Works. The smell there is not great but again excellent for birds, especially ducks and grebes. I picked up Black-shouldered kite, Malachite Kingfisher and African Jacana here as well.
If you've got time, try Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens too. Orange-breasted Sunbird was the specialty here as well as lots of other small birds such as Olive Thrush, Cape Sugarbird and Black Sawwing Swallow.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back