• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (3 Viewers)

Arrival of the summer thrushes takes me across the 50 mark - a couple of Fieldfares in the morning, two Blackbirds in the afternoon (a flock of seven Mistle Thrushes sandwiched between). Also an early Woodcock late afternoon was welcome.

Plenty of northbound geese all day, mostly Beans, a few White-fronted amongst.

49. Fieldfare
50. Blackbird
51. Woodcock

Yesterday I heard the first (XX) Song Thrush from the garden. All good real estate in the local forest, where I hear them since two weeks, must have been claimed. There might have been a Miste Thrush as well, but the bins were in the bedroom where my wife was still sleeping. I deemed a garden tick was not worth invoking her wrath. :ROFLMAO:

Yesterday I heard the first (XX) Song Thrush from the garden. All good real estate in the local forest, where I hear them since two weeks, must have been claimed. There might have been a Miste Thrush as well, but the bins were in the bedroom where my wife was still sleeping. I deemed a garden tick was not worth invoking her wrath. :ROFLMAO:
I disagree with Jos:unsure:, it was a wise decision Frank, as it says in Proverbs, regarding a wife of noble character:
‘She is worth far more than rubies
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life’
( substitute Mistle Thrush for rubies in your case….)

Arrival of the summer thrushes takes me across the 50 mark - a couple of Fieldfares in the morning, two Blackbirds in the afternoon (a flock of seven Mistle Thrushes sandwiched between). Also an early Woodcock late afternoon was welcome.

Plenty of northbound geese all day, mostly Beans, a few White-fronted amongst.

49. Fieldfare
50. Blackbird
51. Woodcock
You’ve caught up with me two weeks quicker than last year Jos!

As I said then :
This is when Jos vanishes over the horizon !

As I continue to avoid my yard and opt for walks to the neighborhood park, I added loggerhead shrike for park bird #131. Locally common in my area, but typically in ag fields or larger parks with more substantial grassy areas, so a pleasant surprise.
I also saw a pair of Cooper's hawks nest-building in the patch of woods that is my prime warbler-watching spot in the spring. May they successfully fledge their chicks with prey caught farther afield!

Cormorant was number 38 for year for me today. Managed to go from well ahead a couple of weeks ago to currently 3 days behind my previous best year.

It is said that a cowboys only takes off his hat for one reason. The same applies to bird watchers, the binoculars are taken off the neck for one reason only...

Edit: ...and you put them back on your neck after that. 😁

Last years end of February I had 16 yardticks, now 21. But nothing new for 19 days.

Last years end of February I had 16 yardticks, now 21. But nothing new for 19 days.

Am about 3 weeks behind same time last year.😩
However, only my 2nd ever one of these, turned up with the rest of the gang this am.
Alexandrine Parakeet a real bruiser, “nearly twice the size of RNP. 😮

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    797.9 KB · Views: 6
While sanding cabinets on the back patio today, I was rewarded with all-time yard bird #63 in sandhill crane! A flock of about 60 got my attention with their calls while making their way north. I guess it was a good thing my electric panel was getting worked on and I couldn't use the power sander, or there would be no chance I'd hear them.

Have it on “call” most evenings, but tonight was my foy sighting for a Tawny Owl, that appeared to snatch a rat at 9.05am from our hanging peanut feeder! (which is Halogen lit by our wall security light).
From 5 metres it was a brief, but jaw dropping affair, just sheer coincidence that the Tawny and ourselves were both “dining” at the time.😊

….no good setting the camera up….as that is never going to repeat again!😩

Have it on “call” most evenings, but tonight was my foy sighting for a Tawny Owl, that appeared to snatch a rat at 9.05am from our hanging peanut feeder! (which is Halogen lit by our wall security light).
From 5 metres it was a brief, but jaw dropping affair, just sheer coincidence that the Tawny and ourselves were both “dining” at the time.😊

….no good setting the camera up….as that is never going to repeat again!😩
It can't repeat again until it has repeated....

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back