• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gaiters or not? (1 Viewer)

James Day

Hi, being new to this forum I notice that quite a few threads discuss "coolness", so here goes my question; Are gaiters cool/acceptable/you gotta be kiddin'?
Now the ground has suddenly gone to mush after being rock hard since April I have been sliding all over the place in wellies. I love my walking boots, which have great grip, but if the water pours in the top it doesn't matter that they're waterproof!
my other solution was waterproof trousers - but they seem a bit noisy for birdwatching?

Although wellies are practical for some weather conditions, I prefer to use gaiters over the walkers on early morning walks and don't care what others think. I rather be comfortable underfoot and be able to stay out longer.

I don't think gaiters are uncool, though I don't see many birders wearing them. I've got some for fellwalking, but haven't birded in them - my preferred approach is general to wear walking boots, and just get a bit muddy!

I guess if you're going somewhere really wet, rather than just muddy, then they're just the job - certainly far more comfortable than wellies.

Gaiters

Gaiters uncool rubbish " used to be a Instructor at a Outward Bound Centre much of it spent up on Dartmoor we all wore gaiters and these were real tough guy"s keep your feet warm and dry forget about being uncool and fashion statements.

django said:
Gaiters uncool rubbish " used to be a Instructor at a Outward Bound Centre much of it spent up on Dartmoor we all wore gaiters and these were real tough guy"s keep your feet warm and dry forget about being uncool and fashion statements.

Could`nt agree more!
Weather conditions can change so quickly on Dartmoor,Black Mountains etc. I never venture off the beaten track in winter without suitable gear,including gaiters.

Gaiters and Correct Gear

Stranger said:
Could`nt agree more!
Weather conditions can change so quickly on Dartmoor,Black Mountains etc. I never venture off the beaten track in winter without suitable gear,including gaiters.
Thanks for your back up, people who venture into the outdoors should remember that its not only your life you put at risk it is also the poor guys and girls who have to rescue you,also things can go wrong even when you are close to home,you can be close to a busy town (The local river gravel pits ect) and on your own, think about it how many people use that area ? how long could you be there until help comes,so wrap up warm and dry take your mobile stick a couple of mars bars and a drink in your pack and off you go,sorry to be doom and gloom but I have seen the results of people not wearing and having the right gear and it aint pretty"""""

I think I’ll leave my gaiters packed away for trips to the hills thanks.

Got me a pair of Le Chameau Vega Outlast ‘wellies’ the other week.

They are a waterproof natural rubber boot and are Outlast Lined throughout.

Outlast is designed to be warm in the winter but not too hot when the weather is mild.
It stores heat when you work and releases it back when you cool off.

They have an adjustable gusset with quick fastening clip for close fit and a Vibram walking sole.

I’ve walked aplenty in them over the last few weekends birding, and double figure mileage is no problem on or off the road.

They feel cool inside even when the weathers hot (like last Sunday – 30th October). It was 20˚c mid morning at Minsmere. I had left my other boots at home and so they were the only option which meant I would get to see how adaptable they are. After a very long day and at least a half marathon’s mileage (I’ve done plenty of those over the years so I should know!) they were still comfortable to walk in.

A thin pain of Lowe Alpine liner socks and a pair of walking boot socks on top were all I needed. Trying before buying is to be recommended.

I’m now looking forward to the winter to see how they stand up to frost and snow – if we still get that stuff!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. As I am more than comfortable in my walking boots I'll stick with them, so gaiters it is! If you spot me out in my gaiters and think that I am being uncool, please remember that I am trying to also avoid unnecessary one-wear-only washing of trousers to save the environment! (That's my defence and I'm sticking to it)

Gaiter

Good for you J.D. B***** to people thinking you are uncool! just ask the Mountain Rescue guys about people going out in so called cool gear you would not believe some of the clothes people wear, In the Lake District and Dartmoor I have seen people brought down wearing thin tee shirts, trainers, and I kid you not( high heel shoes ) the woman broke her ankle! nature can be great but it can also sneak up on you, I have been caught out in a White Out also thick mountain mist but I had the right gear but even then nature can be real scary.

Recently started birding with my brother who carts me around to the wet and soggy marshes on the back of his bike - gaiters not only stop the brambles ripping my overtrousers, keep the water out of the goretex boots but keep my legs warm when on the bike - bit of a pain to put on but worth the effort.
On the other subject of being sensible when out in remote spots we too carry mobiles, whistles, torches, compass, mars bars & plasters.
We wear thin multiple layer clothing which doesn't restrict movement, nikwaxed fleeces and a light goretex coat, coolmax socks, nikwaxed thinsulate hats & gloves.
Head, feet & hands need keeping warm - the blubbery torso (in my case) sort of takes care of itself.

I would not be without a pair of gaiters over my walking boots for my morning walks.

I wear ex-army goretex Yeti gaiters which totally enclose the boots ensuring dry trousers & feet - plus they can be picked up for as little as £10-15 from good surplus shops.

They have also been a blessing when birding in snow (traipsing over the Brecon Beacons, Black Mountains or Cairngorm) - forget "uncool" go for comfy, practical and dry every time.

Gaiters are an essential in my part of the world. Never mind keeping the water out, it's all about keeping the seeds out of my socks and shoes. This isn't just a comfort thing, the last thing I want to do is pick up seeds from some noxious import somewhere in NSW and then drop them somewhere in a pristine national park in Victoria, or vice versa. So I wear gaiters nearly all the time, usually with shorts. Gaiters look really weird with shorts! But the combination of bare legs and shiny-surfaced gaiters defeats most seeds, except for some of the very small saltbushes. And the few that remain I can pick out and dispose of sensibly back at the car.

They help keep moisture out of my shoes when the grass is wet too, but gum boots are better for that.

Otto McDiesel said:
debris, thorns, seeds, weeds, water, snakes, ticks and other vermin = gaiters

Funnily enough, I've just ordered myself some gaiters. :) Primarily because I'm getting a bit tired of washing muddy trousers when I get back home, which otherwise wouldnt need washing. My feet are also much warmer in my boots than wellies.

-Si

B....r being 'cool' - gaiters are the ONLY thing to wear, anyway, who cares about being cool or not - warm, dry, tough - I won't go without them up here on the north Pennine fells - and they save those muddy trousers. I like the sound of the army surplus ones, I'll try and find some!!

B

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back