• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! (1 Viewer)

Can someone tell me how the 2x inteligent digital turns on please.
I have a HS10 at the moment and on that it is one press of what is the fn button on the HS50.

Can someone tell me how the 2x inteligent digital turns on please.
I have a HS10 at the moment and on that it is one press of what is the fn button on the HS50.

The intelligent zoom can be turned on in page 2 of the shooting menu (page 83 in the instruction manual).

Intelligent zoom can be assigned to the Fn button in page 3 of the shooting menu (page 51 in the instruction manual).

It's convenient to download the HS50 instruction manual to an iPod touch (or similar) in the iBooks app. Even when you're travelling, you have access to a mind-stumping detail on a camera, or other piece of electronic equipment.

Mike

Hi all, I have just made a wireless remote for the hs50 exr, using two yongnuo RF-603c remotes click on link http://www.wilneyweather.co.uk/fujifilm hack/index.htm

knock john.

why did you not use the correct kit available on ebay for for £13.50 ?:t:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Remote-Release-for-FUJI-HS50-EXR-and-HS20-EXR-and-others-/281182665201?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item4177caf9f1

refer to my posts No 184, 185,186 etc in this thread

You can use any RR-80 wired or wireless shutter release that you already may have together with the a RR-80A Fuji adaptor

Available on ebay for £5.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-Exchange-Cable-Adapter-for-FUJIFILM-RR-80-JJC-MA-K-TM-K-to-RR-80A-HS50EXR-/261230148815?pt=UK_Camera_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3cd287bccf

Last edited:
why did you not use the correct kit available on ebay for for £13.50 ?:t:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Remote-Release-for-FUJI-HS50-EXR-and-HS20-EXR-and-others-/281182665201?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item4177caf9f1

refer to my posts No 184, 185,186 etc in this thread

You can use any RR-80 wired or wireless shutter release that you already may have together with the a RR-80A Fuji adaptor

Available on ebay for £5.00 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JJC-Exchange-Cable-Adapter-for-FUJIFILM-RR-80-JJC-MA-K-TM-K-to-RR-80A-HS50EXR-/261230148815?pt=UK_Camera_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3cd287bccf

Hi Earleybird, the first one I made a few months a go did not focus the camera, & I the wanted to do some off camera flash photos ( still have not got round to any yet) so I went this route, now I have the best of both worlds. I had a hs30 for a short while then changed it for the hs50 & none of the remotes etc. fitted the new usb socket, the link to the one you gave has only been out for a while. I did contact jjc about remotes for etc. for the hs50 when I first got the camera, but they did not have any idea that the usb plug had changed, but any way I like making things its much more fun.

Knock john.

Sorry I have been out of action and I am a bit slow to catch up. The goldfinches have been busy with their babies. But I have found although they will eat nyger seed they love sunflower hearts and have been introducing their young to the sunflower heart feeder in our garden.

I am sticking with sunflower hearts for now as all finches seem to enjoy them.

Best wishes
Molly

To see some of my recent photos check out http://www.flickr.com/photos/macfudge/

Amazing photos mac. Really you should be the flag bearer of what HS50 is capable of in good hands :D

Strange effect sometimes

I agree, the autofocus is instant and very specific if you don't press to focus, and find the bird, then fail to refocus on the bird 'cos you'll be focussed on the leaf and not the bird 2 feet away....

One other problem which the gurus here will explain is the sort of painted effeect in this cropped and enlarged shot of a beeeater.

Normally the feather detail is perfect but sometimes this happens. of course it may be Picasa but many will know and put me straight.

Attachments

• DSCF1183.JPG
    DSCF1183.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 362
It looks exactly like a photo that has had the <watercolor effect> applied to it.
All details have the painting effect. Very nice for a watercolor.

No it's on the totally unedited file straight off the camera, and it doesn't appear on all the 1000 odd shots on the memory card and I didn't changed the settings.....

Hi Todd, I don't have this camera, but I have seen this effect before on my Panasonic FZ200 and other cameras I've had. In my case its always because I have magnified up the image too far and the detail just isn't there. You mentioned that it was cropped, so that could be the reason.

Well, this is my first post on this forum !:-O I wanted to post here to start with to thank you all, as it was you guys that unknowingly helped me to decide upon which camera to buy. Especial thanks to earlybird for starting the thread and for the perseverance to keep it on topic. :t:

I have been thinking about buying a new camera for some months now. I bought my first compact zoom/bridge camera about ten years ago, and that was a Fuji, with a x12 zoom, which was something back then ! I had a good few years before it gave me any trouble, and after that I came to the conclusion that I was seeing too much of life through the lens of a camera and was missing out on the moment, so I then went without a camera for a few years.

Then a couple of years back a purchased a little Panasonic Lumix just to take some basic shots and to have some memories. It’s a great little camera for what it is, and I was happy to have a camera that I could just slip into my pocket.

For the past few years I have been more into bird watching which has made me think about purchasing a new camera. Initially, after seeing a friends results with a DSLR, I thought about purchasing an entry level Nikon DSLR, but then as I wanted a bit of focal length for birding was having doubts about the cost and having to carry around a heavy piece of equipment with an array of lenses, so I started to look once again at bridge cameras. After reading a few reviews I decided to go for the Cannon SX50. It was then that I came across this forum and thread. Whilst looking at bridge cameras there were always a couple of Fuji’s in the running, but reading through your posts swung it for me towards the HS50. I think it was the fast start-up, quick AF and general build quality & feel that sealed the deal.

I’ve ordered my HS50EXR today, so it should be with me in a few days. Looking forward to posting a few shots soon.|=)| Thanks for your help !

It's a shame I did not put mine for sale a few days earlier.
It is now in the sales part of this forum along with a
Sony VCL-DH1758 1.7x Teleconverter!

Attached is a backlit shot of American Goldfinches foraging on purple coneflower seed heads in our backyard.

Settings used:
Mode: EXR D-Range Priority
ISO: Auto 3200
IS Mode: Continuous + Motion
DR: Auto
WB: Auto
Image Size: M 3:2
Image Quality: Fine
Film Simulation: Std
Auto focus: Center
Color; Tone; Sharpness; Noise Reduction: all 0
Digital zoom: 1.4 or 2 (?)

Handheld; cropped in camera.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF0724.JPG
    DSCF0724.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Been using the HS30 the last week and have notice some shutter lag is this something you get on the HS50? Seems a nice camera otherwise.

Attached is a photo of a Pileated Woodpecker at our backyard suet feeders.

Same info as post #635, taken at full zoom, with 2x digital extender.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF0791_1469x979.jpg
    DSCF0791_1469x979.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 216
Well the camera arrived and I must say that so far I am quite impressed. It is early days for me as a photographer and birdwatcher, but here are a couple of recent images.

All shot in A-Mode

Coppersmith Barbet - ISO 500, f/5.6, 1/58sec, FL-185mm

Common Kingfisher - ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/20sec, FL-160mm

Green Beeeater - ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/600sec, FL-185mm

Attachments

• Coppersmith_Barbet_02.jpg
    Coppersmith_Barbet_02.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Common_Kingfisher_02.jpg
    Common_Kingfisher_02.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 299
  • Green_Bee_Eater.jpg
    Green_Bee_Eater.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 271
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back