• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji Finepix HS10 review (1 Viewer)

yes but as Sean says it all depends on available light , level of zoom , ISO setting etc . In the water shot for instance there is a huge amount of reflected light from the water which any camera is going to struggle to contend with without lens hood,filters and manual settings

To be honest the images do not appear to have been processed at all and there is much that can be done to improve them but then again there is a lot to be said for unadulterated images .:t:

I suppose every image taken is a personal one. I might try to crop the image a little more to remove some of the distracting water flow in the foreground and some of the contrast at the rear . I also might be tempted to see if I can crop just one bird and re-compose the shot. Its all individual interpretation.

Excellent captures Richard by the way. Hope you'll excuse me messing about with your images to illustrate my point about the differnt way we all see things
165700_1789067852171_1403846026_32093947_1954123_n.jpg

birdcrop.jpg

singlebirdcrop.jpg

If the shot is a jpeg it will have been altered in some way, either by the camera or by the photographer, usually both. The only unaltered picture is a RAW one. Personally I would always prefer to take RAW pictures and the decide for myself how much sharpening etc. to apply, whether I'm using an SLR or a superzoom.

The med gull was taken in poor light at approximately 15 metres. The only editing was a slight crop.
The Kestrel was taken in bright sunshine at approximately 30 metres and has been cropped by about a 1/3 and the contrast slightly altered.
The Egret was bright sunshine at approx 20 metres and cropped by about 1/3 and had a slight sharpen.
The Sanderling were taken in bright sunshine at approx 3.5 metres and has been cropped by about 1/4.
All were taken on P setting at iso400 and were hand held at maximum zoom.
These are some of my first bird photographs, though I'm not new to photography.
I'm not interested in technically brilliant feather perfect portraits of birds (I'll leave that to more experienced people who have the right gear), I'm just interested in making interesting images, neither am I trying to put the HS10 in competition against other cameras. I just thought I'd add my opinion to the mix to help people make informed decisions.

Thanks, they were all perfectly good id shots, perhaps the best was the egret (quite a difficult one to get right, but yours is about right), it does demonstrate that there is really very little to choose between the different high end superzoom cameras. Truthfully all you need to settle on is which camera you like and go out and buy it. Certainly the HS10 has a lot to offer for the price.

Going back to the camera, mine's just arrived I will try and find time, soon, to photograph the same thing with the Fuji and my Canon 500D and Tamron 200 - 500 so people can make up their own minds how just over £200 worth of gear compares in IQ with about £1400 worth.

I find it very difficult to make a good judgement about the quality of a photograph on a camera despite the fact that my Canon has a good screen.

Tried taking the pictures on Tuesday but I wanted to take them in RAW and play around with setting to try to get both to as high quality as possible. The problem is I have to develop them with different programs and I just cannot get my head around Silkypix, which is provided for the Fuji. I had an earlier version of Silkypix with my Panasonic. But I just used to convert, without making any changes, to a Tiff and then use Paintshop Pro to sharpen etc. However this version seems to be a 'cut down' version which doesn't allow that. Of course I may be being dumb here.

Ironically one of the reasons I chose this camera was that it could take RAW pic.s but I may end up taking JPEGs anyway due to this problem and the fact that - as has been mentioned lots of times - the writing time with RAW pictures is a horrible 2.5 sec.s, with JPEGs it's a bearable second or so. I need to do some serious playing around before I can give my full opinion on this camera.

Just been playing round with my SLR and the Fuji. The Fuji weighs slightly less than my Canon and 17 - 70mm Sigma lens and cost, considerably, less than just the 17 - 70mm so I'll give it a bit of leeway on the IQ front.

here is a link to two very interesting string monopods. perfect way to brace the camera without having to hump a monopod or tripod or heavy restbag about :t:
http://www.persions.us/MiniStringMonopod/

This is a link to suggested P program settings for a suggested 'carry' mode
http://akiwiretrospective.blogspot.com/2010/11/fuji-hs10-camera-settings-p-mode_755.html

Whilst you are there take a look at the fantastic New Zealand images posted yesterday .

Lastly a link to various Flickr HS10 forums
http://www.flickr.com/groups/fuji-hs10/

Last edited:
Wow

Lots to get through on this thread.

I am currently considering pulling the trigger and buying the HS10 and have just about read every review thats worth its salt on the net.
I would concur with a lot of the people favouring the camera; if you want to get really top notch images go out and but a DSLR.
When I get mine I want to use it to take as many pix as possible of feather friends around where I live and the odd landscape shot thrown in for good measure.

Im by no means the best photographer in the world and bow to the those that are well steeped in knowlege in that area. So that said I have a few questions that I would really love answered.

1) Whats the deal with EVF finder? Can I assume people mean that what you see through the view finder is what you see on the back of the camera? In other words not the real life clarity of a DSLR?

2) Can someone recommend the best charger/battery package for me to buy - a link to a specific one would be a great help.

3) For taking photos of birds, whats the best setup under most conditions? Have you a particular mode or something that you have to change to get best results?

And finally...

Which and where are the good lens hoods for this camera and how does one go about getting a teleconvertor from that everyone bangs on about?

Thanks for those that read this. I want to get this camera or something of its ilk in the next few days and start getting out there and taking snaps.

Pleased to meet you all by the way...

QC

QC,

I tried butting a DSLR, but I got a large mark on my head and a terrible headache. The DSLR owner was not too happy either. :-O

Sorry

1) Whats the deal with EVF finder? Can I assume people mean that what you see through the view finder is what you see on the back of the camera? In other words not the real life clarity of a DSLR?

The EVF finder works perfectly well and gives a very clear image just like any other Finepix bridge camera but it is a little smaller is all, because part of the space is taken up with the proximity detector alongside which senses when you put the camera to your face and switches off your LCD to conserve power. As soon as you take your camera away from your face the LCD switches back on immediately.

Most users switch the damn thing off in the settings anyway as it consumes battery power and is as useful as a t*t on a ......There is a handy button adjacent to the EVF to manually switch from LCD to EVF just like any other camera.

2) Can someone recommend the best charger/battery package for me to buy - a link to a specific one would be a great help.

I would recommend the Eneeloop rechargables. They come fully charged and stay fully charges for months in your bag or drawer. They last quite a bit longer than niMh etc as well.
Do a search on Amazon I bought a pack of 4x together with a fast charger for £8.00 this week.

3) For taking photos of birds, whats the best setup under most conditions? Have you a particular mode or something that you have to change to get best results?

I find that auto mode is really good in good natural light in the summertime however on overcast days and winter you really need to be using the manual modes to get the best out of the camera.
I will copy paste some suggested settings that i found on another forum which is working well for me at the moment in a fresh post below.

And finally...

Which and where are the good lens hoods for this camera and how does one go about getting a teleconvertor from that everyone bangs on about?

Be careful when looking for lens hoods. The generic 58mm 'petal' lens hoods for sale everywhere at the moment do not work well with the HS10. They are fiddly to fit and the petals are too high to use on wide angle as they cause vignetting. I would recommend buying the Fuji lens hood which is unfortunately out of stock all over the world at the moment. :C

Thanks for those that read this. I want to get this camera or something of its ilk in the next few days and start getting out there and taking snaps.

Pleased to meet you all by the way...

QC

I must be honest and say that whilst I have been blown away by the features of this camera I have been frustrated too. This is purely because although you can use the camera as a point and shoot it really is best suited to experienced photographers due to its complexity.

Brill! More great stuff early bird!

Can I ask another question? One that doesnt really matter but is of interest nonetheless.

Does the HS10 work with Photoshop and if not can you reccommend the proper software for post processing. I have heard that the Silkypix isnt that great.

Thanks again

QC

Brill! More great stuff early bird!

Can I ask another question? One that doesnt really matter but is of interest nonetheless.

Does the HS10 work with Photoshop and if not can you reccommend the proper software for post processing. I have heard that the Silkypix isnt that great.

Thanks again

QC
sorry QC I haven't yet taken any images in RAW. I've got my hands full in Jpeg format frankly.
I am not familiar with PS either as I've always used the Corel suite and Picassa.
I've only just discovered the world of PP (post processing) as I am a bit of a purist but I'm really getting quite excited about working on some of my old images.
There is an excellent youtube PS tutorial on one of the yahoo HS10 user groups I'll post a linky if I can find it again

Earlybird.

I have read about the best batteries for this camera being the Eneloops and the charger that comes with it. You said earlier in the thread that you had ordered this charger.

Tell me this are you having the same plug problem that everyone reports in the reviews?

Dont want to spend £8 to find out its the wrong plug.

Any thoughts?

Hi QC sorry missed your post....playing with my new netbook.:t:

What do you mean by plug problem ?

I have always used rechargables for my Fuji Finepix cameras and have 4-5 sets of them . Unfortunately I have lost my charger so needed a replacement. I have read that the Eneloop batteries by Sanyo have a unique feature in that they do not gradually discharge over time when unused. They can retain a full charge for 6 months plus which is pretty remarkable.

I took advantage of the special offer on Amazon of 4x AA Eneloop batteries with included a Fameart charger for £8.00 and they arrived this morning fully charged. I'll report on the battery lifetimes when I've used them .
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fameart-Charger-complete-Eneloop-Batteries/dp/B00373LDSA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296742835&sr=8-1-fkmr2

post script I've just noticed that the charger is a very slow 8x hour trickle charge mmmmm might be better to just buy the batteries seperately and then get a fast charger.

Last edited:
Hi QC sorry missed your post....playing with my new netbook.:t:

What do you mean by plug problem ?

I have always used rechargables for my Fuji Finepix cameras and have 4-5 sets of them . Unfortunately I have lost my charger so needed a replacement. I have read that the Eneloop batteries by Sanyo have a unique feature in that they do not gradually discharge over time when unused. They can retain a full charge for 6 months plus which is pretty remarkable.

I took advantage of the special offer on Amazon of 4x AA Eneloop batteries with included a Fameart charger for £8.00 and they arrived this morning fully charged. I'll report on the battery lifetimes when I've used them .
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fameart-Charger-complete-Eneloop-Batteries/dp/B00373LDSA/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296742835&sr=8-1-fkmr2

post script I've just noticed that the charger is a very slow 8x hour trickle charge mmmmm might be better to just buy the batteries seperately and then get a fast charger.

Number of charging cycles usually is better with slower charging, so that would be my advice unless you are on vacation and really need the fast turnaround.

Niels

Number of charging cycles usually is better with slower charging, so that would be my advice unless you are on vacation and really need the fast turnaround.

Niels

yes thats true with some batteries but the Eneloops last so long its irrelevant . If you only managed 1000 recharge cycles they would last over 3 years!

I'd replace my batteries long before the time when they wouldn't hold a full charge. At £4-6 for four they are as cheap as chips . I'd far rather have a fast charge than lots of battery chargers cluttering up my kitchen all day and night.

I have 2x bridge cameras 2x coolpix 2x finepix p&s , 2x cell fones, 2x satnavs, 2x netbooks, 1 incar bluetooth, 2x USB voice recorders etc etc I have a drawer full of chargers and adaptors :-C

Just recently purchased an HS10, I've only been out with it a few times due to time constraints and bad weather/light. This camera is my first real introduction to photography and I'm really enjoying it so far. Went into the garden yesterday and shot some of the Goldfinches, which were braving the elements, namely the wind. They didn't seem to mind me as I crept to the neighbouring bush. I'm not really sure what I'm doing with the camera or the photoshop/editing software at the moment.

I'm thinking about buying the sony DH1758 to get that little bit closer, as I'm using the *2 digital button a lot, even though I know I really shouldn't.

Attachments

• new2dscf0759.jpg
    new2dscf0759.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 98
  • dscf0772p.jpg
    dscf0772p.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 95
  • dscf0749x.jpg
    dscf0749x.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back