• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tunisia (1 Viewer)

With this image I’m unsure if it’s separable but I would guess it’s probably between a Spanish and house sparrow. Though the bills strangely quite heavy, and I wouldn’t want to remove the possibility of a rock sparrow- though the stripe above the eye seems to thin for it and doesn’t give me the jist of a rock sparrow.

Could you describe the habitat from memory?

I thought it could be something more exotic than a sparrow, because of the heavy bill precisely. The place were I took the picture was in Thuburbo Maius, an archeological place. The surroundings were more o less arid, but maybe not too much for Tunisia. You can get an idea looking at the pictures of the place on the Internet. I took some more photos, but I didn't upload thinking they weren't necessary. They aren't very clear, but maybe can give some clue.

DSC_4191 XXX BF210923 (prov. (Passeriformes) (Aves) (nknown)).JPGDSC_4194.JPGDSC_4197.JPG

Thank you for your interest.

I thought it could be something more exotic than a sparrow, because of the heavy bill precisely. The place were I took the picture was in Thuburbo Maius, an archeological place. The surroundings were more o less arid, but maybe not too much for Tunisia. You can get an idea looking at the pictures of the place on the Internet. I took some more photos, but I didn't upload thinking they weren't necessary. They aren't very clear, but maybe can give some clue.

View attachment 1533850View attachment 1533851View attachment 1533852

Thank you for your interest.
With these pictures I’m leaning towards house sparrow. The back seems to dark for a Spanish sparrow.

All the sparrow males I took pictures of in this trip where spanish sparrows. So, I think the probability of this being a female of the same species is high. But like Butty says the quality of the photos is too low. I'll tag it like a possible female of spanish sparrow or of house sparrow.

Thank you to both of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back