• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Patio (1 Viewer)

Nancy

Most evenings when the weather is suitable, Jim and I eat our evening meal outside on the stone patio. It’s usually a very casual meal cooked quickly on the BBQ with a salad and a bottle of very-cheap-but-good Australian wine (probably Jacobs Creek) to accompany it. In fact we eat most of out meals out here unless it is very hot, raining or the biting flies are too annoying
In the evenings we eat very late so it’s usually just about dusk when we’re ready to sit down and the daytime birds have settled for the evening. We sit quietly eating, talking and waiting for the evening performance.
The last reflections from the setting sun disappear and the deep twilight gloom descends as we munch away quietly and wait.

At last…………………In the words of a poet whom I remember from my youth, I think Robert Browning or maybe his wife Elizabeth…………………..

Sweet, sweet, sweet, Oh Pan!
Piercing sweet by the river!
Blinding sweet, Oh great god Pan!
The sun on the hill forgot to die,
The lilies revived and the dragon fly
Came back to dream on the river.

What I’m referring to is the Superb Lyrebird, the most glorious Australian songster and to my biased mind the best in the world. He has taken up a regular position from which to send out his evening aria, quite high in a tree about 30 meters away from the house and from there he throws out the most glorious, melodious bursts of song. Because it is summer and a lot of other birds are still breeding he contains himself to his own true song with only an occasional bit of mimicry so we are entertained by about three sessions of this wonderful music each lasting about 3 to 5 minutes.

After that and sometimes overlapping come the raucous calls of the local bunch of Kookaburras. Nothing could be so much in contrast but both are beautiful in their individual ways.

The Kookas gather each night to settle for sleep in a family group but the gathering entails a lot of argument about which perch is the chosen one for that night . They are really funny as they call out to each other trying to get the gang to ‘come over to my place’. Eventually they settle together and give their last laugh in unison. Sometimes we hear a distant group calling out a few minutes later as though to say “HaHaHa, we’re the last”.

After this performance if we feel languid we can forget the washing up and wait for the owls and possums to show up but I will leave writing about that to another occasion.

Dear Nancy,
What a delightful way of describing the joys of the Australian eventide, My great Aunt always waxed lyrical about the Lyrebird, but I have never had the pleasure. I could just imagine being there myself, and the thought is making me greatly look forward to the British summer just giving an inkling as to what is in store. I will then be doing the same as you but listening to the owls and watching the Bats swooping over the treetops and dipping down towards the pond, sweeping all the insects up in their path.

Dear Nancy,
I'd love to be able to hear it but the sound doesn't seem to be working, I'll have to sort out my pc and see if I can find out why I'm unable to hear it. I will get it somehow, even if it kills me!
Thank you for the site, I'll try and get the problem sorted then I'll be able to hear exactly what my great aunt talked about.
Thank you too for the wonderful post.

Nina, I've just been able to play it - but you'll need quicktime (PM me if you need help on this - it's easy to download, but I have to go now)!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back