• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From an aeroplane window....Schiphol birds (1 Viewer)

lazza

I have noticed several times, while taxiing on the ground at Amsterdam Schiphol, that the airport seems to hold a remarkable variety of bridlife.

Has anyone produced a survey of bridlife there?

Last week, in a 10 minute taxi to the runway, I noticed three grey heron, two kestrel, several moorhen, a great-crested grebe, and a large, hovering pale-fronted raptor (rough-legged buzzard? but may have just been a hovering buzzard...)

I have noticed several times, while taxiing on the ground at Amsterdam Schiphol, that the airport seems to hold a remarkable variety of bridlife.

Has anyone produced a survey of bridlife there?

Last week, in a 10 minute taxi to the runway, I noticed three grey heron, two kestrel, several moorhen, a great-crested grebe, and a large, hovering pale-fronted raptor (rough-legged buzzard? but may have just been a hovering buzzard...)

No survey on the airport, hunters won't allow birders and thus Schiphol won't allow birders. The manager bird control and the airside operations manager made a book about the flora and fauna of Schiphol Airport a few years ago.

The make a blunt statement; The is very good as a fire starter for your fire place. For example, all gulls got the name seagull!!!!

The raptor you saw is probably a rough-legged Buzzard, when you make the long taxi run you went across the area where this RL buzzard remains every winter.

I live quite close to the airport and for birding the area is very poor.

So, on another change of flights last week, I added: curlew (lots of them!), coot, shelduck and lapwing!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back