• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frodsham (1 Viewer)

Ben Dickinson

Hi all,

I last went to Frodsham many years ago with the local RSPB group, and am planning a trip back there this Thursday.

I know it is a large site, and what I had in mind was meandering around the main areas for waders, as well as taking in the local fields/bushes/reed clumps for warblers and small birds, etc.

The problem is that the internet for once has not delivered, and I can't find a useful map of the site.

I know that access is via Marsh Lane from the village, but after that I'm not too sure what to do, as well as I'm unsure where's safe to leave the car.

Any help/guidance/homemade maps/recommended routes around the marshes would be gratefully received!

Hi Ben,

Here is the Streetmap link showing the main area - http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...+of+Frodsham+Marsh,+Cheshire+&searchp=ids.srf

Go over bridge on Marsh Lane, then you have two options -left and right.

Right will take you past the logbook (please fill in sightings here) and then you can park at the 90 degree bend in the track, walk down the path, follow the river and view the Weaver Bend.

If you go left this will take you down towards No6 tank. You will see a track heading up a slope on your right, park at the bottom of this unless you drive a 4x4 as the track is very rutted (I know one local who has had his suspension replaced due to the track). You can walk all the way around No6 tank but the best viewing is until the track does an S bend as it drops down.

These two areas seem to be the best for birds. I've been visiting the site for many years and never had a problem leaving the car but I don't leave anything on display or have any RSPB, BTO, etc. stickers.

The Cheshire Bird Report has a good map showing the other main areas.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back