• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free Willy (1 Viewer)

If what I have read is correct, then he never did make it back into the open seas. I also read that the normal life span of a wild killer whale is 35

Yes, Keiko, Iceland's most famous citizen is no more. He did make it back into the wild (swam from Iceland to Norway last year - as good an example of out of the frying pan and into the fire as you could get) but the saddest thing is not that he died (he had to die anyway at some time) but that this social creature was captured young from its natural environment and spent the vast majority of its life in isolation in captivity performing tricks for the titillation of humans. A revolting way to spend one's life.

E

this social creature was captured young from its natural environment and spent the vast majority of its life in isolation in captivity performing tricks for the titillation of humans. A revolting way to spend one's life.
Edward, I agree with every word you say.

Edward said:
Yes, Keiko, Iceland's most famous citizen is no more. He did make it back into the wild (swam from Iceland to Norway last year - as good an example of out of the frying pan and into the fire as you could get) but the saddest thing is not that he died (he had to die anyway at some time) but that this social creature was captured young from its natural environment and spent the vast majority of its life in isolation in captivity performing tricks for the titillation of humans. A revolting way to spend one's life.

E

I visited Sea World in Florida about 5 years ago. An amazing place, and worth a visit, but seeing a Polar Bear in a small room was upsetting. I think it isn't fair to keep such intelligent creatures as mammals in small cages though I suspect it is not so bad for a Killer Whale as it gets more attention from handlers. Can't say I like zoos. The only value I can see to keeping mammals in zoos etc is as breeding stock for future re-introduction to the wild.

"The only value I can see to keeping mammals in zoos etc is as breeding stock for future re-introduction to the wild"

I also think they are an effective and easy way to develop interest in the natural world in people. If children werent took to zoo`s on the day out or whatever, we`d probably end up with a bunch of Bush-style policy people running around "Lets kill them and make them rarer, this way people get more fun when they see them"
Although i agree that a lot of zoo conditions are very cruel and harsh and that there are other ways to create interest about the natural world, its just that zoo`s are a lot more popular than some of the other ways.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back