• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fowlmead country park: nr Deal Kent (1 Viewer)

I spent the day checking out our new country park which is just outside Deal a couple of miles from my house. The rear entrance is only a short cycle ride from my home and has a nice track to ride on. The park has a tarmac road running around it, for the use of serious riders and a bmx type track in the centre on top of the slagheaps, which were created from the mining waste when the land was used for its coal mining.

At first, you can see the site needs to be given a good couple of years to mature, the work creating the paths and landscape have had an affect on the wildlife, which at times is hard to find. It took me 2 hours before i spotted a rabbit, even though i know there are thousands around the area. The cyclists and noise from the visitors will be having an affect too, and people are asked to keep to footpaths etc in order that new wildlife can settle when it arrives. And judging by what iv seen today, it should arrive quite soon.

The Bird life was quite good considering the amount of people using the park in these early days. The best today was a Cuckoo which flew past me only about 30 feet away, and 4 Ringed plovers which are nesting somewhere above the visitor centre. I got quite close to these, maybe 12 meters away and 2 were pairing up as i watched. With the Plover were a few Lapwing which showed no fear, walking near the carpark and paths. As i went in at the rear entrance i saw Wren Whitethroat Greenfinches Linnets Dunnock Reed & Sedge warbler, there are a lot of dykes near to the site which hold there own wildlife, so you see a fair bit before you reach the main gate. At the top of the meadows area, i saw a few Skylarks which perched on dry stickups and made themselves visible for a change, i watched these for quite a while, along with Swallows & House martins which were at the higher points of the park.

Part of the walk allows you to overlook the lakes at Cottington fishery where i saw Greylag Canada geese Mallards Moorhens Pheasant Magpie Song thrushes you also walk behind the farm house and stables.

Other birds noted were Colored Dove Blackbird Carrion crow Great tit Herring gull Starlings Wood pigeon Rooks Jackdaws and a single White Dove. Near the main entrance as you drive through the gates i saw Chaffinch Goldfinches Ferral Pigeon & Kestrel. I also heard a Cetti's on my way round. Over looking the fields i saw 2 Brown Hares.

The park has a few small lakes, which at present look very much man made, and a main lake which has been there since the pit was working. This bigger lake has been tidied up really nice, but i didnt see a single bird on any of the water. But im sure it will bring in a few species as the place settles down from all the work.

There are thousands of new Trees and Shrubs planted along with some older woodland. There is a wooded area that hasnt been touched, only enough to tidy it, and a nice path put through it. So it isnt all totally new, there are also many wild flowers as you would expect growing from the dry and rough coal waste, which play hoste to a number of different Butterflies and insects.

Before i left the site, i spoke to 1 of the helping hands at the visitor centre, he asked me what i thought of the park. There was 1 thing i had to take him up on. There are miles of paths and cycle track and its a very long walk in the hot sun, so i was surprised to find there wasnt a single Bench in which to rest and take in the views. Not even on the lookout tower. I hadnt been the first to make this point and its going to be looked at soon. There are lots of places screaming out for a couple of benches to sit with the binoculars for a while. Its open just at the weekends, but may open during school holidays every day.The visitor centre isnt finished yet, some decking etc still to do. But the toilets are good and have showers for the camp site. Im not sure what the rules are concerning camping. And providing the cyclists stick to the proper paths, and walkers too, the visiting public shouldnt pose too many problems for the wildlife. He told me they were looking for a balance between the recreational activites and the wildlife.

It doesnt cost anything as yet to go in, but he did stress that there may in the future need to be a payment, perhaps on the parking in order that the park funds itself properly. Il certainly be going there as a regular, and will visit again in a couple of weeks. When the park has matured it will be a good place for any outdoor lover to visit. Hope i havnt bored you too much, Mick

I will put photos of the site on a second post.

Last edited:
Strangely I was there this afternoon - although my primary purpose was to keep an eye on a 6 y.o. hurtling around on his bike.

I agree with the original poster - looks promising. I know from fishing at Cottington that there have been barn owls there in the past (had cracking views one evening) and also regular SEOs in winter so that area will be worth a scan.

Bit disappointed that its only open weekends - hopefully that will change as time goes on.

Ivan Macey (no relation to original poster!)

Hi Ivan, fancy that, another Macey strain near by. Be nice to see the Owls 1 day, Perhaps il bump into you down there, cant wait to see some water birds too. Mick

That sounds good, Between me, you and Mickymouse, and hopefully a few more we should be able to keep a good record of whats about. There are'nt many Macey's about, and i had no idea there was another in Deal. I'l be at the park with my daughter quite often, and hopefully Mickymouse from time to time. Mick

Last edited:
Checked out the park last weekend in pouring rain, looks very promising. As mentioned before not only it's a shame that the park is only open at weekends but the opening times are from 9am-6pm. No early morning birding then ! The little wood holds Tawny Owl and Little Owl has been seen too (I know nothing rare but still nice though !).

Went down there and checked it out this afternoon and I am impressed, looks good and I think it will get much better in time. I agree with Mick they really must get some benches, perhaps a couple of picnic areas would be nice too. The best bit for me today was the meadow all the Lapwings got spooked by a splendid Marsh Harrier.

Mick

While I was there this afternoon I took this picture of the guide posts, I am a bit worried about the bottom symbol Lol.

Mick

Attachments

• OddSymbol.jpg
    OddSymbol.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 148
Had an hour on me push bike around the track today. Didnt see alot, there were 3 Partridge this time that i havnt seen before. It was pretty gloomy again and apart from a couple of skylarks and a Kestrel there wasnt much doing. I stopped to look at a meadow pipit, as a lady shouted about it to her husband, but it turned out to be a Thrush.

The park is fast losing its novelty factor. There wasnt more than a dozen on bikes today and about 15 people walking round. Only a few weeks ago and there were hundreds of people visiting. It seems more popular with locals using Colliers gate entrance to take their dogs for a walk. With interest declining so fast, it makes me wonder what will happen to it. I'll wait untill the sun pops out and then have another look. Mick

Passed Fowlmead today, couldnt go in, was working. Noticed the place was open and the sign now says 'Open 7 days a week'

So anyone wishing to pop in can do so when the Bmx kids are at School. Phew. Mick

Not sure Mick, il check it out at the weekend and will also look to see if they have added an entry fee. It was talked about. Been watching some some quite large Bats tonight over Stonar lake. Not massive, but a little bigger than the norm. And a lovely lot of Swallows and House Martins. Mick

Spent the afternoon walking around some of Fowlmead. I used the southwall rd entrance 'Colliers Gate' its a farm track about 1/2 mile long which takes you to a Bridal path entrance at the back of the reserve. Here's the list:

Green Woodpecker 6 off
Great Spotted Woodpecker 1 off
Jay 4 off
Starling 100's
Blackbird 10+
Pheasant 10+
Wood Pigeon 50+
Rook 50+
Magpie 20+
Robin 3
Chaffinch 20+
Long Tailed Tit 15 off
Greenfinches 10+
Goldfinch 1 off
Ferral Pigeon 30+
Partridge 6 off
Mistle thrush 7 off
Lapwing 5 off
Carrion Crow 10+
Greylag 25 flying overhead
Moorhen 12 off
Wren 2 off
Mallard 6 flying overhead
Coot 2 off
Grey Heron 1 off
Stonechat 2 off
Blue Tit 4 off
Kestrel 1 off.

What was a little strange about the afternoon, was all but 2 species was first spotted between Southwall rd and Colliers Gate. In the Trees or across the fields and Dykes. I did see a good few of the already spotted birds within the reserve, but apart from Coot & Greater Spotted Woody every species was seen on the lower ground around the Farm Track. And apart from Rooks virtually nothing was at the top of the Meadow. As i left the reserve, i noticed loads of small birds flying into the reserve as the light faded.

The Woodpeckers showed well today, with 4 from the track and 2 Green and the Spotted seen at Fowlmead Lake within the reserve. Its looking clean and tidy too. Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back