• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Foulshaw Moss (Cumbria Wildlife Trust, UK) Osprey cams (1 Viewer)

The birds at this nest site currently have at least two eggs. Very good close views of the sitting bird can be had at this site though until the eggs hatch there are very long periods where nothing much happens unless you happen to get lucky and the partner arrives with a fish.

Cumbria Wildlife Trust have kindly given me permission to post some screenshots here from the Foulshaw Osprey Cams which I hope is ok with BirdForum's owners. The screenshots are copyright of Cumbria Wildlife Trust.

The first is from 28 March and shows the pair copulating briefly. The male wasn't present on the nest prior to this and flew straight in and landed directly on the female in very strong winds.

Screenshot (142)-2.jpg

For a while the closer cam seemed to be zoomed in a bit more than it is at present which gave some really nice close views. The cam has since been zoomed out a bit more but is still good.

Screenshot (152).jpg

By the 12 April the birds have at least two, possibly three, eggs. The sitting bird here has spent the night on the nest in sub zero temperatures and is covered in frost.

Screenshot (162)-2.jpg

This nice little interaction took place on 20 April. The female was sitting on three eggs (just visible centre bottom) when the male arrived with a fish. He was a bit reluctant to give it up but eventually released his grip on it. The female immediately flew off with it to eat it somewhere else. The male then did a bit of nest fettling before settling down on the eggs.

Screenshot (202).jpg

Screenshot (205).jpg

For the insomniacs out there, both these cams can be watched at night although there are of course very long periods when nothing happens. The sitting bird here spent a very long time in this position without moving except to deal with an itch, and when a couple of crows passed by very close. The bird did have its eye nearest to the camera open for long periods of time though so perhaps sleeping uni-hemispherically?

Shortly after I took this screenshot a Grasshopper Warbler started singing close by. It went on and on and on and..........eventually I had to turn the sound down.

Screenshot (220).jpg

Here's chick number one at half past five this morning. Whilst I was watching the female left the nest twice for about a minute each time leaving the chick looking horribly exposed. When I checked back later there was a large fish on the nest and the chick was seen being fed later in the morning. Interesting the way the bird holds its talons when moving about on the nest.

Screenshot (244).jpg

All three youngsters here. The male (behind) has just arrived with the fish. The female took a good helping for herself and is now feeding the chicks. The two begging towards the female are, I would guess, the first two that hatched. Behind them the other chick is begging in the wrong direction towards the male. It didn't get any food at all this time. It was also regularly attacked very aggresively by the chick that's being fed in this picture so may not survive long.

Screenshot (279)-2.jpg.

Just in case anyone is concerned about this nest being heavily publicised, it is one of a couple of Osprey nest sites in Cumbria that have been well publicised since the birds first returned to nest in the county. It's location is already very well known and the nest has had cameras on it for several years. There are several other Osprey nest sites in the county which are definitely not publicised.

The birds at this site have so far successfully raised eighteen young in the last seven years.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back