• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest of Dean (1 Viewer)

jeff

I'm hopefully going to the forest of dean this weekend, hopefully to see Goshawk(s), i think were going to Tidenham Chase to see them? Hopefully i'll recongnise one when i see it.....

Anyone got any tips for the area, i think we may also go to the Nagshead RSPB which i'm told is also good for birds.

Anywhere else good in the area.

Birds i'd be interested to see are:

Goshawk
L-S Woodpecker
Woodcock
Crossbill
Owls (any)

Cheers

Jeff

PaulAshton said:
There is suppose to be a hide or view point especially for GH's somewhere near Cinderford.

Paul,

Thanks, guess this is the 'New Fancy ViewPoint', I'm busy digging on the web to find out anything i can about the area and birds.
Are they seen daily from there? The last one reported on birdnews extra was 3/3/03 :-( I guess they must have been seen since then.

Hi Jeff

It's a shame that you are going this weekend. If you had waited until the migration is in full swing then Nagshead would be a good place to go. As it is it will possibly be relatively quiet.

Fancy View (SO628095) is poss the best place to view the Goshawks and the link to there is http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=821

I have also actually seen them from the Speech House Arboretum (SO620120)(where I have also had Crossbills at the top end of the pig farm) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=821

Cannop Ponds for Mandarin (SO608105) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=821

Also around the corner from Fancy View is Mallards Pike Lake (SO638094) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=821 which has Mandarin plus I have seen various overflying raptors there.

As I said earlier. You are going at a fairly quiet time. You are in with a chance of Hawfinch at Nagshead but I have been there many times without connecting with them so all I can say is good luck this weekend and let us know how you got on.

BTW seeing as you are in that area, on your way back, or down, there is a place that you might not know about. Ashleworth Ham. In winter it can turn up almost anything and is always worth a visit. It is part of the river Severn flood plains and I have had some smashing times there. It is situated just north of Gloucester at SO828265 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=821 There is a small raised screen area with logs as benches that you can sit on plus you can view from a couple of areas on the road. Always worth adding to an itinery that goes down that way.

Last edited:
jeff said:
I'm hopefully going to the forest of dean this weekend, hopefully to see Goshawk(s), i think were going to Tidenham Chase to see them? Hopefully i'll recongnise one when i see it.....

Anyone got any tips for the area, i think we may also go to the Nagshead RSPB which i'm told is also good for birds.

Anywhere else good in the area.

Birds i'd be interested to see are:

Goshawk
L-S Woodpecker
Woodcock
Crossbill
Owls (any)

Cheers

Jeff

Hi

We had a trip there yesterday. Mixed success, but had a good day out.

Brierley - SO622149
Hawfinch x2, Goshawk x2
Track opposite petrol station. Go down abot 100m until it turns right. Stand by the gate and look over to the right. There is fallen log that people have been putting seed on. Hawfinches are in these trees and sometimes come down to feed. They are very shy, so be patient and quiet.

Speech House - SO618118
Brambling x>10, Siskin x10 and more species
The RSPB currently have a huge feeder near the car park at Speech House. There are great views of Brambling and Siskin both coming into summer plumage. Hawfinch and many common woodland birds in the area.

?Warends Pools? - SO629127
Goosander x6, one drake plus x redheads
ot sure of the name of this site.

Cannop Ponds - SO609109
Mandarin Duck x10, nuthatch
We went for possible Marsh and Willow Tit without success.

New Fancy View - SO629094
we missed Goshawks, but a friend saw 4 in the air at one point the weekend before last. Morning may be best here. This is a site for Crossbills too.

Good Luck.

Reader, Trealawboy,

Thanks for the links and info, maps now printed and i'm ready to go, let's hope the weather is good.

Thanks for the current trip details, i'll give those areas a try, I did see Hawfinch at Chase End Hill, Malvern earlier in the year, but be nice to see them again :)

The main reason for the trip is goshawk, so everything else is a bonus, let's hope i see one or two :) If not, i'll have to schedule the next visit once migration gets into full swing :)

Hi Jeff

How easy were the hawfinch at Chase End to see and where did you have to go to see them?

I know where it is on my O/S map but as yet have never been to there.

I have been to Hollybush (which is just above it) where I managed to see an Osprey (25/05/97). That is also a fantastic place for large numbers of Buzzards as well, plus a fair number of Raven seem to be present there also.

Reader,

The day we went they were dead easy, I'd never been or seen them before, so printed off the location from birdguides and off we went.

The road was a sort of loop from what i remember, we parked opposite a single house, there was a small pull in, prob. enough for three cars or so, there was a notice but can't remember what it said. Just as we were unloading the car, another birder pulled up, so i thought i'd ask where to go as we had no idea now we were there. This guy had come to video the hawfinch so knew exactly where to go :) lucky for us.

From where we parked, we went up the path (hill) until we reached a gate on our right, went through the gate and down the slope, turned left onto the bridle path and followed it down and round the bend to the left, half way up the straight on the left hand side were 6-8 hawfinch in the hornbeams :)

Prob. took 10-15 minutes to walk.

We were hoping for LS Woodpecker as well, but no joy that day.

PS. Thank you to the brummie bloke with the camcorder if your reading this :)

Last edited:
Jeff,

I noticed you're a Coventrarian... so have you tried looking for the GHawks on Cannock Chase?

They may be visible during their display season.

PaulAshton said:
Jeff,

I noticed you're a Coventrarian... so have you tried looking for the GHawks on Cannock Chase?

They may be visible during their display season.

Paul,

Never been to Cannock Chase, i also need nightjar, thought i might do my first visit there once they turn up, thanks for the info.

Jeff

When the Nightjars are at Cannock I will take you there if you want.

I have yet to see the Goshawks there but I have seen them twice at the Wyre Forest, near Bewdley.

To be honest. If you were going for Goshawk have you given Mayday Farm a thought (TL795835) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=821

It is about 20 miles further than the Forest of Dean but just down the road you have a Great Grey Shrike showing by the memorial at Elveden on the A11. You also have nearby Lynford Arboretum where both Crossbill and Hawfinch can be found. I was there last Wednesday and there was a Fudge duck on the Lynford GP's but it hasn't been seen for a couple of days. Not that far away (poss about 25 miles north) you have Massingham Heath (TF773222) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=821 where currently there are 3 Rough legged Buzzards showing exceptionally well.

There are many more places nearby. In fact if you held on until after April 4th you could also go after the Stone Curlew at Weeting Heath which is not far away plus a bit later on the Golden Oriole at Lakenheath.

Just thought I would show you a few more options.

Reader,

Thanks very much, i might just take you up on that offer of the Nightjar at Cannock.

Thanks for the info on the other places, I'll have to see what my travelling partners say, but i think one needs GG Shrike, he went looking for the one at Radway recently, but didn't see it, so should be easily pursuaded ;-)

I've also printed the other info, so hopefully between all these sites i'll have a great time :) I think those 3 Buzzards sound like a good idea though :)

Thanks again.

Jeff,
New Fancy Viewpoint is THE best for Goshawks. On good weather days they are frequent and are also found perched in the trees. Telescope is very useful.
While in the Forest of Dean, take a look at the big bird feeder in the Cyril Hart Arboretum at the back of the Speech House Hotel. Brambling and Siskin are there at the moment - saw them yesterday. Location is as follows. Speech House Hotel is on a 'T' junction. Go down the 'upright' of the 'T'. Once clear of the buildings of the hotel on the left is an open field. At the end of this is a slip road to a car park at the edge of the wood. You are only about 100m from the hotel. Park there and you will see the information board and the feeder just in the trees to the left of the car park. There should be other birders around there almost all the time.
Ashleworth Ham is still good at the moment although the numbers of wintering birds are falling rapidly. Peregrine on the pylons here. The pile of logs to sit on is now a brand new hide.

You will find some information on Ashleworth and New Fancy on the 'Places' page on my website (button below this post) and take a look at my 'Diary' page for my reports from Ashleworth Ham.

I will be in the Forest on Sunday next. If you want to meet up, email or pm me. I may even be there on Saturday afternoon.

Hi Jeff

I have tried at least 5 times for the Radway bird and failed each time. That bird is a tad elusive isn't it? I also tried for the West Isley bird and failed on that one as well.

I don't think that it is going to be a G G shrike year for me.

Colin,

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at your site and diary.
Not too sure which day we're going yet as i have to go to Aberystwyth on either Sat or Sun, so whichever that is, the Forest of Dean will be the other. I'll let you know when i find out.

Reader,

Never tried for the Shrike myself, glad i didn't by the sound of it ;-)

Thanks for all the info, i'll have to put it to good use another day, my travelling partners had had enough after a few hours of in the rain.
Nice to meet you though Colin, maybe the weather will be kinder next time, just about dried out now :)

Jeff,
Good to meet up with an 'electonic friend' and associates even though the weather was awful.

Yes, I had to dry out in the car with the engine running and the heater on full blast in the end. I then had lunch in the car and finally the rain stopped. A Goshawk did come out in the afternoon and gave a display for a couple of minutes but the most unusual bird of the day was a fly over Sandwich Tern at New Fancy later in the afternoon.

Maybe we can meet again in the Forest. Late April/early May for Pied Flycatchers, Redstarts etc could be a good time.

Colin said:
Jeff,
Good to meet up with an 'electonic friend' and associates even though the weather was awful.

Yes, I had to dry out in the car with the engine running and the heater on full blast in the end. I then had lunch in the car and finally the rain stopped. A Goshawk did come out in the afternoon and gave a display for a couple of minutes but the most unusual bird of the day was a fly over Sandwich Tern at New Fancy later in the afternoon.

Maybe we can meet again in the Forest. Late April/early May for Pied Flycatchers, Redstarts etc could be a good time.

Colin,

Glad one showed up eventually and a Sandwich Tern as well, can't be bad, worth sitting out the wet weather for :)
I'll be back, hopefully early May, i'll let you know when i know for definate.

Andrew said:
It must have been really wet for a Sarny Tern to turn up!!!!

The last time i was as wet as on Sunday was when i went swimming the other week :)
It was persisting it down.
I should have waited round really, someone did predict the bird to me earlier in the day, i should have listened :-(

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back