• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest-falcon, Minca, Colombia (1 Viewer)

Collared Forest-Falcon. I wonder what the other proposed ID was, there aren't any other similar Forest-Falcons in the area.

ICollared Forest-Falcon. I wonder what the other proposed ID was, there aren't any other similar Forest-Falcons in the area.
Interestingly it was called in the field initially as a Collared FF.

Guide told us later on reviewing photos it was Barred FF. I think there was some talk of a young bird on account of brown colour and dotting rather than barring on the breast?
I didn't have a laptop / inclination to query at the time, just looking through now and looking at my books and reference photos I'm unsure. It was on top of a fairly chunky gatepost so I'm reckoning its 18-20inches tip of tail to top of head which seems too big for BFF. But it seems too 'squat' for CFF compared to photos where they seem small headed and large bodied.
But the bird had a weird posture!

Interestingly it was called in the field initially as a Collared FF.

Guide told us later on reviewing photos it was Barred FF. I think there was some talk of a young bird on account of brown colour and dotting rather than barring on the breast?
I didn't have a laptop / inclination to query at the time, just looking through now and looking at my books and reference photos I'm unsure. It was on top of a fairly chunky gatepost so I'm reckoning its 18-20inches tip of tail to top of head which seems too big for BFF. But it seems too 'squat' for CFF compared to photos where they seem small headed and large bodied.
But the bird had a weird posture!
OK, thanks, and let me walk back my ID as I was unaware that some juv Barred Forest-Falcons can look quite a bit like this one! It's probably best to wait for someone more knowlegable than me to wheigh in.

Isn't the facial pattern better for barred? E.g. Thin and incomplete nuchal collar, thin dark arcs coming down around the ear coverts with a wider pale arc below outlining these

The absence of an illustration of juvenile Collared in the Lynx guide, especially considering the fact that it can cause such confusion, is a serious omission.

Isn't the facial pattern better for barred? E.g. Thin and incomplete nuchal collar, thin dark arcs coming down around the ear coverts with a wider pale arc below outlining these
The facial pattern for juv barred and collared in my WCS Birds of Colombia actually look quite similar. Although it supports your point about the drawing up higher to the ear coverts / more in line with the back of the eye on the barred.
They seem to be very variable birds though. The illustrations in Raptors of the World are quite different again and show much less distinct collars on the different barred variants.
1000006574.jpg
1000006573.jpg

Note the more petite bill which also favours Barred. Also, unless that's the world's largest fence post it is seemingly a smaller raptor than Collared ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back