• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Football Stadium Plans Weymouth RSPB Lodmoor (1 Viewer)

Weymouth

Hi, I have joined just to try and gain some specific information about the plans that builders in Weymouth are going to put forward to move Weymouth Football Club, to an area just to the left (as you look from the beach road) of the RSPB Lodmoor bird reserve. Those of you that know the area, it is the area inbetween the car park and the recycling centre.

As you are probably aware this area has been particularly busy this year, although I am no expert but I have seen the amount of visitors, and there have been hundreds.

Obviously it goes without saying there is bound to be disruption, especially during the building process and on match days, outside of that I wouldn't expect much activity really that would be significant.

But how much impact could that have on wildlife/birds having the odd period when it was extremely noisy do you think? My point is could it be actually worse that any noise is very intermittent, or the fact there is any noise at all bad enough? Statements like, oh the noise is only every couple of weeks or so, need to be addressed with facts, that's my angle.

The plans believe it or not actually include a bird hide, something I presume is more of an attempt to pacify rather than be of any real use, but I stand to be corrected on that?

Now we know there are other problems with the area, flooding, recycling, I am just trying to find out effect on wildlife really, and what you think the reaction might be from bird watchers?

Please I am on your side here, any help from experts would help the cause, if you think the effect would be minimal then say so, if you think it could be devastating of course also say so.

Just to say that the plans are at the viewing stage but will be put forward before the end of the year so not long, it would appear they are not messing around time wise.

Having said all this, I don't think the plans have a hope in hell, BUT you never know, so again any information that you feel could protect this area, would be used to help.

Thanks for anything in advance.

Last edited:
I don't know how big the fan base is (I don't even know what league they play in, and I care less) but are we confident that Lodmoor RSPB visitors will be able to park on match days? And that fans will be prevented from running wild across the reserve?

Come on speckled wood, this is your big chance.....

John

Its the WELFARE of the birds I need information on, I will get it somewhere else this place is hopeless.

I simply don't know enough about the application to know whether it's realistic and whether the council is likely to pass it. It seems in an odd spot, but it's not far from the rugby club so that could be part of the plan couldn't it? As Lodmoor floods at the first sign of rain and there's a massive tip there too it seems a dumb idea, but try telling that to developers.
Sorry not to have more info available
Chris

Without some detailed plans (which the article indicates are some distance off, if ever) it will be very difficult to assess the impact of any development on Lodmoor; I am sure Natural England and the RSPB would be consultees to any resulting planning application.

I am not sure whether you expected 100s of posts of indignant outpouring Weymouh but I think most people would wait to comment on known facts (unless its a whisper of a rare bird surpressed somewhere in the country ;)). I am sure the RSPB are well prepared for such an eventuality as that site was always going to be subject to potential development at some stage; why dont you try contacting their regional office?

I see in the Dorset Echo (local paper) revised plans have been submitted to the council, looks like the developers that own the land around the current ground want the new football ground to go to Lodmoor.
Strange though that Weymouth council have not come out yet and said if they are willing to give up the land or not as they own it i believe.
Not having ago at the football club but i hope that the plans for a football stadium is chucked out as i think it will cause problems not just with the car-parking (i know locals park in the back roads). If the current carpark is taken over/built on where would bird watchers park, surely the football club will want it for use on matchdays etc, so visitors to Lodmoor would not be able to use it or would have to pay as i believe the football club charges to park during match days at the moment. Still as a sweetner i see they want to put a bird hide as part of the plans so it overlooks Lodmoor although if its anything like the circus that has surrounded the football club in the last few years i wont be holding my breath.;)
Steel helmet on and wait for the flack to hit the fan:smoke:
Stan

Hello This was in the local echo today if i have got the link correct
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/haveyoursay/yourletters/10219453.Write_now_about_club_move_plans/

Looks like they tried to get it in without many people seeing/knowing about it to object B :)
Stan

FROM THE ECHO:
For those who may not be aware, developers have lodged planning applications to the two local councils to encourage Weymouth Football Club to move from its present home, the Wessex Stadium, to a site on Lodmoor Country Park, an area of natural beauty embracing a well established nature reserve, which is a totally inappropriate location.
To lodge your comments/concerns, please write to the Development Services Division of a)Weymouth & Portland Council, North Quay, Weymouth, DT4 8TA by February 13 quoting Planning Application No. WP/13/00015/FUL about the proposal to build a new football stadium on Lodmoor Country Park; and b)West Dorset Council, South Walks House, South Walks Road, Dorchester DT1 1UZ by February 22 quoting Planning Application No.1/D/12/ 001763 about the proposal to encourage Weymouth Football Club to quit the Wessex Stadium so that a mini-village may be built in its place.

What's the latest on this poposal?

I heard a while back that Weymouth FC were staying put.
They don't have much money and hav fallen on hard times of late so not sure where they are getting the money for a new ground from

Sorry just seen this move up as i have been away for a bit.
Ormskirk. I have not seen anything in the local paper since feb.
The Sniper. Allegedly. It is not the football club who wants to move. I believe that the club only owns the ground not all the land around it. If i remember correctly the surrounding land is owned by Wessex Delivery Partnership. and part of the agreement when the land around the ground was sold was within so many years WDP would have to find/relocate the football club in a commuinity stadium to the value of 7Million pounds.
I was told that now as its been a few years since the land was sold and that as the football has at last sorted it self out and is now commuinity owned and not going to go bust WDP has to start making plans for the new ground or face going to court
As i have said allegedly this is why it was in the paper
Hope this may clear things up abit
Stan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back