• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus on telephoto and video (1 Viewer)

That seems like a sensible target.

I would like to see faster longer lenses. If Olympus where to combine Diffractive Optics technology with this they could have their cake and eat it too.

Another key will be AF and IQ. If Olympus is to face the growing smartphone challenge on one side, and the FF challenge on the other, then realtime visual recognition, AI, processing, and computational photography will be key.

I would have much more confidence in the business if they were publicly announced focuses and demonstrated achievements too.

Chosun 🙅

Given that the transfer of ownership (if I recall correctly) is happening soon, it is a little bit of a tall order to state that the new owners have to have a track record already :D

I think the bird recognition recently added to the EM1X shows application of AI. As it is so new, the only usage I have seen was a review on youtube.

Niels

Well I wasn't suggesting that 😀

That computational photography aspect (including capacity for better AF, and leading EVF) is perhaps one of the hardest things to develop - requiring generational renewal of the sensor, processing power and 'computer' architecture to suit, along the lines of Moore's Law. Olympus was fairly laggardly with that even prior to the takeover. In fact I recall reading somewhere that the smartphone type photosite cell grouping was not on their radar, which is a bit of a worry. (mind you - it's not a high priority for the other format manufacturers either - just the smartphone monster consuming them all from the toes up !)

You really have to announce that as a company direction, then strive for it and deliver.

It will be difficult strategically as they just don't have the volumes, revenue, or profitability, to be able to keep up with the leaders of the pack. And that is where they must compete, even if via a different format.

Look at Nikon even - they announced leading, drawback free EVF'S as a cornerstone of their Mirrorless push, and then promptly just proceeded to play in the middle of the field.

It is interesting that the only product Olympus have limited the bird recognition AF to is the EM1X - the most un-MFT-like of MFT's because of its APS-C/FF size and weight ! I hope that changes, and they introduce that, and even more precise eye AF across the prosumer & 'pro' ranges.

My biggest concern is that they can't keep up the hardware and software development pace, and end up in a slow fade to mediocrity and oblivion.

So while there is that druther, there is plenty of opportunity as I mentioned.

Loooooong long term, I think the MFT format size would make a very nice curved sensor and system alliance launching pad .....

Chosun 🙅

I really like the EM-1 mk ii, and I like what the Olympus engineer says about emphasizing telephoto and portability. I hope they do what they say.

But their actions do not always match their words. They put their bird autofocus software only in the heaviest and bulkiest micro 4/3 camera they have ever made, and just came out with the heaviest and bulkiest and most expensive micro 4/3 telephoto lens ever, which has only marginal improvements over existing lenses. (Only 100 mm more reach, and just a stop or two faster).

If they put their bird recognition software in the OM-D E-M1 mk111 now, I would be reassured, and seriously consider the system.

I'm not confident they will do this though. It seems like they will try and segment the market by hobbling the mk 111 etc - to 'protect' the flagship - which is the type of duff thinking that got them here .....

Chosun 🙅

If they put their bird recognition software in the OM-D E-M1 mk111 now, I would be reassured, and seriously consider the system.

I'm not confident they will do this though. It seems like they will try and segment the market by hobbling the mk 111 etc - to 'protect' the flagship - which is the type of duff thinking that got them here .....
I do not know if they can or not. The flagship does have twice the processing power of the mk-iii after all. But if they do add it to the mk-iii, i would consider switching from my pana body.

Niels

I really like the EM-1 mk ii, and I like what the Olympus engineer says about emphasizing telephoto and portability. I hope they do what they say.

But their actions do not always match their words. They put their bird autofocus software only in the heaviest and bulkiest micro 4/3 camera they have ever made, and just came out with the heaviest and bulkiest and most expensive micro 4/3 telephoto lens ever, which has only marginal improvements over existing lenses. (Only 100 mm more reach, and just a stop or two faster).

The EM-1X really is the elephant in the room, isn't it! They must work hard to get its feature set into a standard EM-1-sized body.

I think the new zoom isn't too big and heavy for what it gives to the user (assuming the quality at 500mm is top-class) - a portable top notch lens with weatherproofing, very close focus for butterflies, dragonflies, etc., internal focus and zoom, sync-IS, all in a package that can be carried for long distances as you don't need a tripod for many situations. Price is a bit steep, though. But there's always been a steady stream of birders prepared to shell out thousands on those big white Canon teles so people will find a way to afford it if they want it badly enough (not me, though - out of my price range whichever way I look at it and I've got the 300mm + 1.4x converter anyway)

if the new people of Olympus are seeing this, please give us a m4/3 equivalent to the 90-250mm f2.8 4/3 zoom. never mind if it will be 4000+ USD, never mind if it will be a bit large and heavy. but i am sure if they ever make it it will be a superior upgrade to that old zoom.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1
A video on the bird AF: https://www.43rumors.com/tim-boyer-expalins-the-new-bird-detection-af-for-olympus-m1x/

It is interesting that the only product Olympus have limited the bird recognition AF to is the EM1X - the most un-MFT-like of MFT's because of its APS-C/FF size and weight ! I hope that changes, and they introduce that, and even more precise eye AF across the prosumer & 'pro' ranges.
The above linked video contained the same information I thought I had heard elsewhere: the AI first identifies the bird overall, then zooms in on the head and ultimately the eye. I think Peter Forsgaard in a different video showed the progression and it did not take it too long to get to the eye (if the bird had its head turned in a way that showed an eye).

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back