• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fishing line disposal tubes (1 Viewer)

jmepler

It's just a flesh wound.
United States
Does anyone have any experience with maintaining fishing line disposal tubes such as these?

My concern is that small birds, Carolina Wrens in particular, could become trapped while exploring this "cavity" looking for insects.

I have seen some with doors of different types, but nothing seemed particularly good to me.

I am considering a project with my bird club, but I don't want to trade one problem for another.

Am I better off to just do trash pickup when I am birding at popular fishing spots?

Does anyone have any experience with maintaining fishing line disposal tubes such as these?

My concern is that small birds, Carolina Wrens in particular, could become trapped while exploring this "cavity" looking for insects.

I have seen some with doors of different types, but nothing seemed particularly good to me.

I am considering a project with my bird club, but I don't want to trade one problem for another.

Am I better off to just do trash pickup when I am birding at popular fishing spots?
Never heard of them and I do fish.
I agree with your concerns, and it could be a terrific project to work on in a young birders club, or a school kids too. Easy to develop with adults brains like you or your bird club, but funny enough to keep kids on the field part, and also developing potential mititgations or alternatives etc. Creative minds do the kids have :)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back